In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Heatmor owners

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Heat550, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Heat550

Heat550

I'm new here I have Heatmor 400dcss I'm heating couple houses and shop and garage 6600sqft
    Im at about 15 cord average year oak . I burned a Heatmor 200css for 19 years Just got the 400dcss
    this year . I came around this site because I need to figure out best way to get my wood drying :)
    I always fall behind in that area . Its because the heatmors will burn half dry no problem . Heatmors
    dont have that smoking problem like other boilers . Yes it smokes at start up and when you reload but only about 45mins to 1 house then its all heatwaves . This might be because I have good heat load on it .
    anyway just checking and seeing if there's other heatmor owners . If there's away to run a boiler wrong I pretty much tried it all . You got love that trail and error builds character . Greetings to all .

Heat550

Log Dog III, fox9988 and Horkn like this.
  2. walt

walt

Welcome Heat550
    I have been heating our home and woodshop with a Heatmor for 16 yrs before that it was indoor stove
    Time is the best tool to use when drying firewood the smaller you split the faster it will dry
    I dont split anything under 12" it just burns to fast,without being split it takes along time to dry
    It's been a mild winter I'm hoping to get a couple years ahead

milleo and Horkn like this.
  3. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Doesn't sound so much like a stove problem as such, just a problem getting ahead on wood? At 15 cord a year you would need 45 cord css now in order to be 3 years ahead to be burning dryer wood down the road, especially with oak!

Gary

Horkn likes this.
  4. Horkn

Horkn

I don't have a heatmor, but I helped install quite a few when I worked for my dad's boiler shop.

They really are the best OWB out there. They are very well built, and very efficient.

Welcome to FHC!

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Welcome aboard heat550.
    About the only thing to get your wood dry would be to cut extra every year for awhile....and hope for winters like this one.
    Resist the temptation to not get ahead.
    When you feed the heatmor, do you fill the firebox? I only use one half of the firebox (left or right side) during these mild temps. (Remember, a stove will burn as much wood as you throw into it.) Then when the temps drop to near zero and below, both sides of the box get used. I guess it's a half fire versus a full fire sorta thing? May work for you and help to get ahead on the wood.

walt and Horkn like this.
  6. Heat550

Heat550

Thanks for the reply . What size Heatmor . I seen you have husqavarna also . very cool . I have 353g,35,44,77 . I get my wood in 8 ft lengths only have 6 acres here so been buy loads for years. My 77 chainsaw I put a 16 inch bar on it this last year. And its like a hot saw . It buzzes throw that oak like its butter. 77 is a 1981 still going strong. You will have to let me know how you like 372. Someday will need to replace the 77 but might be a while yet. Still trying to figure out this forum and how it works . great people glad I found it .

Heat550

walt and Horkn like this.
  7. Heat550

Heat550

I got lucky this year guy I always get my wood from had dry . I would say 1/2 dry . but helps Alot. But now this spring I will get another load and get it drying. I had to burn some wet oak start of the winter season . it worked but stove looked more like steam engine for hour before I get hot fire. I installed the 400dcss this last fall and was running out of time for getting wood organized. Didn't get boiler fired up till the end of November. It was a huge job removing 200css and installing the 400dcss they changed stoves around a bit since 1994 so lot of adjustments needed to be made. The first 200css was installed 1996 was a 1994 model first years of stainless had issues only made 19 years . this a great forum thank for all replays. Still getting use to how forum works .:thumbs:

Heat550

milleo, walt and Horkn like this.
  8. walt

walt

Heat550
    Our Heatmor is a 200 css, has been a good stove.Like you I burn about fifteen cord a year.EAB killed all of the ash trees in our small woods.Ash grows dry checked fresh split last week 22% be in good shape for a couple years.
    I've only had the 372 for a month so far I like it,have a 24" Sugi-Hara on it use it for felling and bucking larger rounds.And yes there are alot of great people here,they like pictures I need to learn how to post them.:thumbs:

milleo likes this.
  9. Magman

Magman

Hey bud got a 400 with oil back up
    Heating my daughters trailer my shop house and hot water. I've the same prob keepin up with wood. I think it's caused by how much I burn
    Fill Smokey at least twice a day.
    Running 20x20 heat exchangers (4) and side bar. 2 in shop 1 in house and 1 in trailer. That daughters travel trailer licks up heat I'm sure. What ya do for family. Cheaper than building her a house for now till she's done college.
    Has her own dogs cats etc that are not compatible so she got a trailer , I ran lines out to er and poured the wood to smokey . Had to burn sweetheart cookstove and pacific energy spectrum too last cold snap -30 and windy
    Needless to say without wood heat id be broke. Keeps me fit and my 2 labs love cuttin and haulin so can't complain

milleo likes this.
  10. Heat550

Heat550

Sounds like we're kinda in same boat with our 400s Mom in backyard here in a double wide and likes it 76f takes bit of wood . But I guess it keeps us in shape I have a Siberian Husky that visits while in the yard cutting wood. Westie also that loves country life . Your setup would be max the 400 at -30f thats wild. I know how much wood that be its crazy but 400 can do it. It's a heating monster. I have some adjustments I need to do next summer on my one house to get the right BTUs to the house. At subzero it's only holding 62f needs a air exchanger baseboards just can't get enough heat. But yes it's same deal here it's all about wood heat LP is nuts . It's a money saver here . and yes person go broke heating any other way!! Great to see other Heatmor owners and share the challenges . There awesome stoves.

Heat550

Magman and milleo like this.