In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I think I just saw a tumbleweed blow by on this subforum

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by haveissues, Sep 14, 2015.

1. haveissues

haveissues

Anyone working on any fun upgrades for the 2015/2016 season? I'm adding a flue thermometer to my controller for monitoring and giving the controller control of the zone valve to the storage tanks. I want the system to close off flow to the storage tanks if a zone is calling for heat as long as the boiler is burning and output temp is below say 200 degrees so the zones warm up faster instead of dividing the flow. I might add a outdoor temp probe to help with this too.

2. Highbeam

Highbeam

It did get quiet here a few weeks back. I expected more of an uptick with burning season starting. Maybe we all have the "hay in the barn" and won't have any issues to talk about until well into burn season?

Gasifier likes this.
  3. coal reaper

coal reaper

haha, i been waiting!

Gasifier likes this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

Yup. Tumbleweed it 'twas.

5. coal reaper

coal reaper

Well... Highbeam , how many miles you got on yer truck? I have an '02.

6. Highbeam

Highbeam

188000 or so. I have leaky uppipes that are stealing turbo drive pressure and making a stink in the cab on cold mornings but the dang truck has been real dependable. International released an upgrade on those pipes to a nice bellowed system.

Batteries are getting slow now too. Been 6 years on them and they are due for replacement.

wildwest likes this.
  7. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

How much wood is used in a season?

8. haveissues

haveissues

I'm using somewhere between 5 and 6 cords for heat and hot water. We're heating 2400 or so square feet. 1400 of those we keep at 70 24x7 and the rest is warmed up as needed.

9. nsmaple

nsmaple

I'm about the same - 5 to 6 last year. More like 6 probably.

I changed up my expansion. Swapped out the 110 gallon LP tank that was sitting on the floor beside storage for a bladder tank, v90 size. I would have kept the LP tank, if I could have found a high place for it. Only place I could figure out at all was a corner in the bedroom, and no way was that going to be allowed to happen.

Once I got that hooked up & heating, it turned out to be marginal for my liking so I added another one, a 15 gallon traditional bladderless tank, that I could fit into a space under the top of the second floor stairway. Almost at the top of system. Got that finished up last weekend, things seem all good now.

Still haven't gotten my storage enclosed 'properly' after 3 years, maybe next year - next upgrade might be swapping out my 18kw electric backup boiler for a smaller 9kw one. Tinker tinker....

10. coal reaper

coal reaper

while my storage was down to ambient temperature i re-set the charge on my expansion tanks. i have two v90's. pre-charged air side to 11psi and then brought water side to 10psi. behaves much nicer now!

campinspecter and Gasifier like this.
  11. nsmaple

nsmaple

I had quite a time trying to find a low pressure air guage. Found one but it's kinda cheapish feeling. I'm a bit suspicious of it - I seemed to have to let quite a bit of air out to get down to 11 at setup. I forget what I measured at first. Maybe 14? I think it was supposed to be factory charged to 12.

Gasifier likes this.
  12. coal reaper

coal reaper

Yeah. Theres a lot of air in there and it takes forever to come through that small valve. I borrowed a gage from a buddy that is into motocross, 0-35psi.

13. ranger bob

ranger bob

What's the fuel mileage like? I decided on a new ecoboost gas mizer with power when required. Have had lots of Fords - some good - some not so good but am a Ford guy 100%. Recently took my wife to Sudbury for surgery and just set the cruise at the limit (90 km/h) and we got 37 mpg on the queens' sized gallon (about 31 US gallon)

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam

Wow, that's great. I still get a solid 20 when running empty, 12 when towing the tall rv, and 14-16 on my daily 8 mile commute. Not bad for a 7500# truck with 444 cubes.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  15. ranger bob

ranger bob

That's excellent and you are using your 7.3 as intended - to pull lots. As HD pulling engines they cannot be matched. I belong to a synthetic oil company purchasing group ( you can guess who) and get their mags with lot's of info on diesels and I find it all fascinating.

Highbeam likes this.
  16. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I haven't even fired up my OWB yet this season. I'm still driving my Jimmy to work with the top off (although it was 20 degrees when I left this morning...)