In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

How old is this year's wood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by lukem, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

Mine was felled and blocked last winter. Split between June and July. Then stacked up on pallets off the ground soon after. The White Ash will be nice when I start burning. The Pine will wait for a few more months before I start burning it in combination with the Ash. Should all be between 17-22% before it goes in the gasifier.:fire:

2. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

:rofl: :lol: Appreciate the correction LP...! :) You know me too well now... I have my eye on a dead standing white oak for later his fall.. Not that you or I obsess on these things... :whistle:

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck

I have Red Maple that will be two years old when I burn it, and a mixed stack of oak and some other stuff that is older than two years. I also have a stack of Pine that was split and stacked this summer but I might burn some anyway because some of it seems very dry. Each stack is about two cords, and I only burn four total, so I won't really need the pine but want to try it.

I also have four cords of ash stacked for next winter and six or eight more cords of ash waiting to be split and stacked. That stuff will only be two years in the stacks when I burn it.

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  4. WVhunter

WVhunter

Most of mine is only 1 to 2 years old but you burn what you got...... I am getting further ahead though with my CSS time.

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  5. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I think of it in terms of 'summers ' rather than years. First half of the winter will be supplied by three summer wood and the I'll finish the winter off with some 2 summer wood. Big mix in both piles. Sycamore, Beech, Hickory, Oak, Ash, Norway Maple and Cherry is what I recall.

6. Gark

Gark

Gonna burn 4 year CSS oak pretty soon. There was some left in a stack so next winter that will be 5 year oak. Even if it turns into compost we will burn it - I worked too hard getting it to let it go.... LOL

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  7. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Mine isn't as old, but it will all be under 20%. Mostly all ash...and ash seasons quickly.

From the test fires I've had, it is all lighting pretty easy and throwing good secondaries. I try and split small. That helps.

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  8. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

I just loaded a shorty piece of ash. Maybe under a foot in length. The smaller the pieces are, the easier it seasons and fits into an otherwise full stove. Not the best for stacking, but variety works the best for me with a 2 cubic foot stove.

Drvn4wood, Horkn, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  9. snide

snide

I will be burning 3 cords of 21 year old hedge that was taken down by a tornado 21 years ago.

Horkn, Sean, HDRock and 9 others like this.
  10. JustWood

JustWood Guest

About 4 cord of my pile is 2-3 year maple oak and ash and about 5 cord is some beech from who knows when. I'm thinking it's been in the shed/pile for 8 or 9+ years!!

Horkn, HDRock, papadave and 5 others like this.
  11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I haven't really got that far yet minus the 1/2 to 3/4 cord of 4 year old old that I stacked last spring. I cant remember the date...:emb: but it'll be at least 3 years old. I'll have to look through some pictures to see...:picard:

12. Norky

Norky

If I didn't take pictures, I wouldn't be able to remember what I did or when I did it.

13. bassJAM

bassJAM

Mine is all ash and silver maple that was split in Aug-Sept of 2014, so while I haven't put a moisture meter on any of it yet I'm sure it'll be good to go for this year.

I'm getting ready to start splitting a bunch of ash for next season this weekend that was dead standing last winter when I dropped and bucked it. I already have a couple cords of oak put away, but I'm not planning on using it until 2017-2018.

HarvestMan, Drvn4wood, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  14. capetownkg

capetownkg

Shoulder season poplar and ash thats 3 years and 4 year old red oak for the good stuff!

15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We have about 1/3 of a cord of oak that was cut in the year 2000 or 2002, depending upon who you ask about when it was cut. That will be all burned this year. The rest will be mostly white ash with a little bit of oak that was put up 3 years ago.

16. basod

basod

Got some pine that's ~45yo and some oak in 77-80yo range

17. Locust Post

Locust Post

I should know that someone would reference the age of the tree instead of the firewood harvest :rootintootin:

Horkn, basod, firecracker_77 and 3 others like this.
  18. HDRock

HDRock

I have a lot of different types of woods in the mix, that is ready to burn this year, dead red n white oak two and a half year, some three and a half year, 3 year old sugar maple n ash, two-year-old Hickory, and one and a half year old walnut n cheery, one and a half year pine, and one a half year Elm, and 1 month old dead ash,, oh yeah some popular too

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  19. Kimberly

Kimberly

That is an interesting stack of wood.

20. red oak

red oak

Shoulder season: pine and poplar c/s/s this past spring

Good stuff: red oak c/s/s 3 years (Hurricane Sandy wood)