In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yet another pickeroon

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Norky, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Norky

Norky

I made one a few days ago and it worked ok, but not great. I think for one, it didn't have enough weight behind it. So today I decided to make another. It took quite a few sawzall blades, but so far I'm happy with the results.
    Have to be careful not to use too much force or it's hard to pull from the log. I'll put it to the test tomorrow and hopefully not lose it like the first one.

015.JPG 017.JPG

HDRock, WVhunter, Mag Craft and 6 others like this.
  2. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Looks mean! :dex: That's probably the biggest gripe I have about my store-bought version - it doesn't always bite and grip onto larger rounds as much as I'd like. Nice work. :yes:

What sort of tool was that before? Pickaxe? Most pickeroon heads are affixed to the handle with a pin or a screw or something, to keep it from coming loose due to the frequent pulling action when you use the tool. Any plans for something like that, or will you just wait-and-see?

HDRock, WVhunter, Mag Craft and 2 others like this.
  3. Norky

Norky

Yes pickaxe. The head is on the handle pretty tightly, but I'm going to take one of those short fat joist hanger nails and hammer it in the top, that oughta hold it.
    I just hope I don't miss and bury this thing in my leg.
    On my first one the point was tapered like a pencil tip and that seemed to keep it from digging in. This one, I tried to make as narrow as possible and flat on all sides, like a wedge and that seemed to do the trick. When I think about it, a 16 penny nail in a stick might be a good way to go, except for the weight factor.

4. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    This was my feeble attempt at making a pickaroon. It in another life it was a mattock with a pick. Took a grinder and sharpened the pick and ground the mattock end off. 20151009_111606.jpg 20151009_111647.jpg

5. Norky

Norky

Nice. I was thinking about painting mine a bright color too. It's easy to miss something like that when there's brush and branches all over the place.

WVhunter and Greenstick like this.
  6. WVhunter

WVhunter

Nice job, both of you!!!!!!:yes:

7. HDRock

HDRock

Nice job there dudes :thumbs:

8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I really like all the different ways the members here have come up with their own versions of a pickaroon.
    Best of all is that they all work. Nice job guys.

Norky likes this.