In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fall hunting?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mike bayerl, Sep 1, 2015.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

So, as we move into "hunting seasons", what is your priority? Here is S. Central PA we are blessed with seasons for Deer, Turkey, and Migratory Birds in the Fall, plus various other game seasons. So, let's hear what each of you choose to pursue, or not, this Fall. For me, my first priority is Deer. I shoot archery-only during all open seasons. Second in line are migratory birds (waterfowl/doves) and last priority is turkey. My property is in WMU 5B which has no Fall turkey season, so I would have to travel to public gamelands.

2. Tony2Truck

Tony2Truck

Archery deer is my number 1. After that her we only have shotgun for deer or muzzleloader. I only shotgun hunt. The waterfowl after that. Surrounding county's are archery turkey in the fall and shotgun in spring only. Thats Illinois by the way. This year as in every year I also say I'm going to thin the squirrels and coyotes but never have the time!!

3. ohio log slayer

ohio log slayer

Squirrel season coming up. Gotta luv that. Then if I'm able bow season for deer then gun season week after Christmas followed muzzleloader for deer. U can throw coon season and trapping season in there too.

4. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
  5. unclefess

unclefess Guest

13 days to nh deer archery ,not that im counting:Dhopefully i can get the big oak all moved by then so i have more time to sit in trees.

6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

7. WVhunter

WVhunter

I bow hunt for Whitetails with my longbow, will be after Ruffed Grouse with my GSP's alot this year. I also have killed a couple Black Bear with my bow, so if a nice one comes by I will take a poke at it. I will also muzzleload and rifle hunt Deer. Spring Gobbler and fly fishing for Native Brookies in the spring. :thumbs:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  8. WVhunter

WVhunter

I think I may hate you Dave. Lol.... :(

9. bassJAM

bassJAM

I took off yesterday afternoon for opening day of dove season, that's one of my favorite things to do (and eat). I'll try to go rabbit hunting a couple times too once it get's cold. If I can fit in a squirrel hunt, I'll try to do that although the last few I've shot I forgot about and they got freezer burnt. But it's an absolute blast stalking through the woods until you get within range of a squirrel shelling nuts on a limb! Deer is probably my least favorite, the meat just can't compare to the farm beef I get locally, and it's just not "hunting" to me. I know that if I spent 3 days in the woods I'll get one or two just by sitting on the ground up against a tree without a blind and shooting the first one that walks within 20 yards of me. The only reason I go deer hunting at all is because I process the entire thing myself, and I enjoy knowing that I've handled the meat myself the entire way.

I wish I lived in a better area for upland birds and geese/ducks, I think I'd enjoy hunting both of those as well.

10. Frank and Beans

Frank and Beans

I like to hunt deer with a bow. Gun season is pretty crazy around here. I rarely see a deer after the gun opener.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Archery and rifle deer here. I do plan on shooting a turkey for the first time this fall though. We also shoot several coon, squirrels and my wife takes target practice on chipmunks. She's a good shot too.

12. milleo

milleo

I wish she would come to my place and wipe out my chipmunk population, I can't seem to hit them worth a darn for some reason....

13. Will C

Will C

I work my tail at work and around the house so I can spend as much time rifle hunting in NY and PA. Also try to get with muzzleloader when possible.
    Years ago I lived for squirrel, grouse, and rabbit hunting. Unfortunately that does not work for a football coach, athletic director and school principal! Plan on resuming them full swing in my retirement!

14. gboutdoors

gboutdoors

I hunt just about every day of our 10 week deer bow season here in Mass. that starts last week of Oct. Start my season in up state NY Oct. 1 get up to Nasau a few times to put some doe meat in the freezer to start with before Mass. opens. To me its more about the time in the woods than the taking of the deer. The phone gets shut off and from 2:00 till dark it's peace and quiet.I scout out a new spot every few days and love the challenge of figuring out the deer in each area. If it was just about shooting a deer I would just shoot them from the back deck.

15. gmule

gmule

I have become too lazy to hunt these days.
    Now I just stalk them with my camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and sometimes they just hang out in the yard
    [​IMG]

milleo, HarvestMan, WVhunter and 6 others like this.
  16. LongShot

LongShot

Elk in the mountains, pheasant on the plains.

milleo, WVhunter and Backwoods Savage like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

It has lots to do with the weapon of choice and how you aim or what you use to aim with. I bought my wife a nice Ruger .22 with a short stock and barrel. Just right for her. We did have to change the scope once because it seems her eyesight changed a bit. Also, we definitely sight the rifle in for very short distance shot. If it is sighted in for, say 100 yards, it won't work worth a hoot for short 10-20 yard shot, which is what you mostly get when shooting chipmunks. However, I've seen her take some 25 yard shots and nail them too.

She used to also be a great archery shooter. Well, at least at times. When she was on, she was raking in trophies all over the place. When she wasn't right on, she was worse than terrible. Perhaps she wanted to be like me on those days?

18. Flatlander Pete

Flatlander Pete

Teal season this Saturday, early goose season opened the first of September. I can't wait for the migration!
    image.jpg
    I think it's time for a new plate too. Lookin' a bit rough!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    milleo, Ronaldo, WVhunter and 4 others like this.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Looks just fine on a truck!

20. unclefess

unclefess Guest

thats awesome i love it:thumbs:

WVhunter and Flatlander Pete like this.