In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dolmar comment from a local tree guy

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by My IS heats my home, Sep 1, 2015.

1. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

A fella I work with does tree work on the side and today we got talking about his saws and techniques etc. Anyways, while he was talking about his saws, some are huskies and a few stihls, he stopped and jumped right into his newest saws, Dolmars. He told me it was mostly about price for the same dependable kind of saw. He thought the stihls were overpriced and the Huskies would not stand the top end tests when he ran them. So the German made Dolmar was making the grade for the price. He said that Dolmar doesn't advertise like the stihl and Husky and this keeps the prices down. Maybe hes right??

I'm far from being a saw guy, I'm just sharing what this guy was talking about and his experiences.

Todd 2, HDRock, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  2. Gasifier

Gasifier

I have not owned a Dolmar or a Makita. Yet. But that sounds like about the same as the reason I bought the Echo CS 680 I bought. Price. From what I had heard, a good saw. And PRICE.

3. mdavlee

mdavlee

Dolmars are good solid saws. They don't have brand recognition of the other 2 and even echo for the most part.

4. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Yup, I have a Makita 520 I should list in the classifieds.

clemsonfor, HDRock and mdavlee like this.
  5. WVhunter

WVhunter

I used to have a 7900 that I sold, like an idiot! :headbang: I wish I still had it, it was a great saw.

Todd 2, clemsonfor, Hedgerow and 3 others like this.
  6. haveissues

haveissues

I suspect if their dealer network was better they would be a lot more popular. A lot of people have no clue that dolmar exists and even fewer know they are made in Germany.

7. Jon1270

Jon1270

More advertising wouldn't put them in a position to charge Stihl/Husky prices. Even if they expanded their dealer network and increased their advertising budget, it would be more likely to drive Stihl and Husky prices down than to increase their own profits. They figure, probably correctly, that they'll make more money selling excellent machines at lower prices than by trying to shoehorn themselves into the top of the market.

The Makita 7901 I had was an excellent machine. I only sold it out of boredom; I like to tinker, and that thing was just too reliable.

8. chris

chris

6 dolmars, 1 echo, 1 stilh, the dolmars see 98% of the work as range from 50cc to 80cc. echo is 30+cc and stilh is 122cc( just for the over 36" dia. stuff)

Todd 2, clemsonfor, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I bought a Dolmar 3410 limbing saw off of Carbine last year at Dex's GTG and I gotta tell ya I love that saw......I've run the buns right off of it ever since, it's only needed minor care since. I converted a Stihl bar to use on it so I can use all the same chains I use on my Stihl limbing saws. I would not hesitate to buy another Dolmar.

10. Nixon

Nixon

As others have said , Dolmars are solid performers . The dealership network ,not so much . I'm sure there's one in my future once I'm sure our local dealer is here to stay .

11. tree killer

tree killer

112 115i 6400 7900 and a Makita 6421. The 112 my grandfather found in the road 30 years ago and still runs like new, just weighs more than the 7900. Have an old husky 36 I lend out, she's pretty well had it but for $25 I couldn't pass it up.

12. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

Another positive endorsement for Dolmar. My first saw was my PS-510 and it has never skipped a beat. For a 50cc saw, she rips. Picked up a minty Dolmar 111 last spring - not as strong as my 510, but a solid saw as well. I would recommend Dolmar to anyone - with the one downside being lack of dealers for local support. But...on the upside.....forces you to learn to fix your own saws! :DCheers!

13. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

I have owned a 133, Poulan 5500 (143) and probably half a dozen Makita 520/540 and Dolmar 5100/5105 saws. The are quality built machines.

14. Jon1270

Jon1270

I can't even remember the model number -- probably a 166 or similar -- but a guy helping to take down a big old beech tree around the corner from my house had this enormous old Dolmar that he'd inherited. Unfortunately its owner was under the impression that Dolmar had "got bought out by Makita," and all their new saws are junk now. He wasn't eager to be convinced otherwise.

15. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Tell him the 166 is junk and he can sell it to me.

16. WV Mountaineer

WV Mountaineer

I had a logger cutting for me several years ago that run exclusively Stihl equipment. As do most here. By stroke of luck, all 5 of his Stihl saw were being repaired in the shop. Not all went down at the same time, he just put off getting them maintained. He was in a pinch and bought a new MS660 when he dropped his off for service. That saw didn't make it 1/2 a day before the he put it on the dozer track and forgot about it. End result, crushed brand spanking new $1000 saw.

He rushed back to the shop and they loaned him a Dolmar. I can't remember the model but, it was a big 'un. Long story short, he liked it better and thought it out performed the Stihl 660 pound for pound. He bought that loaner saw and, while he no longer works for me, the saw was running a year later when we parted ways.

That proved to me that they are a great saw and very dependable. I'd have zero problems buying one. God Bless

17. Gasifier

Gasifier

:popcorn:I'm getting low on popcorn here Salvage.:popcorn: :whistle:

18. Will C

Will C

My local buddy was a Stihl dealer but lost the franchise. He picked up the Sachs Dolmar line. I am a Stihl guy, but will look at the Sachs if I am in the market out of loyalty to my friend. I see the prices are around $100-200 cheaper than a comparable Stihl.

19. mdavlee

mdavlee

Makita is taking over in the US sadly. I don't know how much longer well have red dolmars.

20. Gasifier

Gasifier

They are pricey though. Even though I would like to try a Makita I think I will end up buying an Echo. Good saw. Price is right. Weight is right. I do want to try a Makita though.