In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday
  1. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Have been using a Pacific Energy air tight for about fifteen years now and love it. Propane furnace never
    gets used so basement is cold. So wife and I decided to get something new and decided on a Endurance 50.
    Just put in the basement and will hook it up to the duct work later on. Plan on eliminating the propane
    all together. Will also keep the air tight upstairs as well. I will be trying corn as well as wood pellets, so it
    will be a winter of learning I am sure. For sure I will be looking for some advice from the experienced
    users on this site.
    Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will be asking for later on.
    Old Fart from Eganville.
    Not sure if I am doing this right but will try.

ivanhoe, imacman, smoke show and 3 others like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Welcome to the show!!

3. will711

will711

Welcome to the Show my Friend, Lots of great folks here to help you out . We do love pictures here :thumbs:. I know where Eganville is my grand parents dad's side were Canadians from Denbigh , Cloyne, and Northbrook area spent many a summer vacation up there :D

ivanhoe, imacman, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  4. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

You are starting out right by coming here. Welcome aboard!

ivanhoe, imacman, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  5. 343amc

343amc

Welcome. You'll love that furnace. There are a few of us Fahrenheit owners around here.

ivanhoe, imacman and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I think I own a knockoff version, LOVE it :)

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  7. imacman

imacman

Welcome OFE. You sure came to the right place....a lot of VERY knowledgeable people here to help you get that baby installed & fired up. Don't forget, we need pics, or it never really happened.
    :popcorn:

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  8. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Welcome to the group. We gots a lot of members here with the 50F for advice. ;)

ivanhoe, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  9. mithesaint

mithesaint

You're going to love having a furnace. Having a furnace makes me hate my freestanding pellet burner. Nothing like the quiet, even heat of a furnace. I still used the freestander for warmer days and to help with the arctic days, but I'd rather burn the furnace any day.

ivanhoe, imacman and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  10. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I am glad I signed on this site. I can tell already it has a great friendly bunch of people. I was on a couple other local sites
    that were very klicky { had there own circle of users to respond to }. Saw a lot of people just ignored. Don't use them anymore.
    Don't know much about the endurance yet but have heard good things, so hears hoping for good luck.
    Any body have much experience with corn etc. Am I better with hardwood pellets, and also I see some guys/gals doing
    the mixing corn and pellet trick. Open for any and all suggestions. Will get some pics up later on.
    Thanks all Old Fart

11. imacman

imacman

I'm sure the experienced users here will chime in, but I'm guessing that the price for pellets vs corn would have a big effect on who burns what.

12. mithesaint

mithesaint

I burned corn last year in my SCF 050 furnace. Overall, I was happy with the experience. The corn was significantly cheaper than pellets, and burned better than pellets did in my furnace. The corn burned cleaner, with less upkeep.

There are a few downsides. The multifuel venting in 4" was pretty expensive, especially on my longer than normal exhaust run. The corn was bought in bulk, which meant I had to borrow a neighbor's hopper wagon, drive it to the elevator, haul it home, unload it, and return the hopper wagon. Getting several thousand pounds of corn in the basement at once was a bit of a big job too. The corn was a little harder to get ignited. It took me a few weeks to get the ritual and timing down for getting it ignited. Once it started, it burned great.

This past spring, I bought my own hopper wagon, so now I don't have to worry about borrowing a wagon. I also purchased a used cornvac, and that should greatly simplify the process of moving the corn to the basement. Corn around here is running about $135/ton. Pellets at Lowes are about $260/ton. I'll save at least $500 this winter burning corn instead of pellets.

Hope that helps a little.

schoondog, ivanhoe, imacman and 4 others like this.
  13. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

Ya I hear ya about the vent pipe. Going with the Selkirk Direct-Temp multi fuel but I have a very short run so it shouldn't
    be all that bad. Pellets hear are $ 300.00 plus taxes a ton and I know some guys who are buying corn for $ 155.00 a ton
    so they tell me. I have to work on the source of that. getting it home wont be a problem, just have to buy a bunch of
    storage totes to store the corn in my basement. Doesn't really matter which way I go as are house is small and we will still
    be burning wood as well.
    Thanks all Old Fart

14. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Welcome to FHC old fart :)

This will be my 4th season with my 50F and I love it more every year!! There are 6 or 7 of us here who have this same furnace, so we shoukd be able to help with any problems you come across.

As for corn vs pellets? Running straight corn will have the furnace cleaning more often (self cleaning cycle), so running a small mixture of pellets to corn will give you longer durations. But it's not needed if the corn will be that much cheaper.

Also with some pellets, the ash pan won't fill up as quick. Corn makes a hard clinker and doesn't burn down much. Where pellets create more fly ash and won't build up in the pot as fast.

Look forward to your install and future posts! :thumbs:

20141212_124220.jpg

BAN83, ivanhoe, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  15. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Welcome! I myself would like to try corn but sourcing it in my area seems to be tricky.

ivanhoe and jtakeman like this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

There is a place in Sharon CT. A farmer has been growing for corn stoves and feedstock for the same farmes in the area. Might be a bit far to travel for you though, But maybe he has info on another place(farm-co op) where you might find some??

http://lionrockfarm.com/

Owners name is Lenny(heck of a nice chap!).

LionRock Farm 30 Hosier Road Sharon, Connecticut 06069-2113
    Phone: (860) 364-5654
    SIC: General Farms, Primarily Crop
    Line of Business: General Crop Farm

:Yar: Sorry for the hijack! Back to the regulary scheduled program!!

ivanhoe and eatonpcat like this.
  17. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Yeah I found him online but he is across the state from me. I'll see if he knows someone local.

ivanhoe likes this.
  18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Welcome aboard Old Fart! I see you're a Ontarian just like me:p. Looking forward to some pics and postings. Heating season is around the corner once again. A clean stove is a happy stove so do not let it get too dirty, just some:whistle:

DexterDay likes this.
  19. Highbeam

Highbeam

I've always liked that furnace. If you don't mind me asking, what is the price for a new one? Actual prices can vary so much from MSRP.

ivanhoe likes this.
  20. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

I don't mind at all. I don't know for sure the price in the states but I think around $ 3800.00. But I live in
    Ontario Canada. I bought mine from a dealer in southern Ont. about 300 KM. from me. I paid $ 4800.00 plus taxes
    and had a local trucking company bring it back for me. I think the price wasn't to bad from what I hear about the stove.
    I have the Selkirk DT-M pipe ordered for it, when that gets hear I will start the install and get some pics up.
    Old Fart

will711, smoke show, ivanhoe and 3 others like this.