In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Septic issue

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by papadave, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Loon

Loon

Fun in the sun this morning!!:thumbs:

[​IMG]

Somebody pass me the freshener please.:dennis: Have to go back in to Tap-Con the one baffle.:cheers:

[​IMG]

basod, Eric VW, unclefess and 8 others like this.
  2. papadave

papadave

You cwazy.
    Or, Loony.:rofl: :lol:

basod, Eric VW, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  3. 343amc

343amc

I've been lots of places in my days here on earth, but the inside of a septic tank is one place I've never been and hope to never be.

Eric VW, Chvymn99, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  4. Loon

Loon

Good to go for another 3 years.:smoke: Sprayed the top of the pipe with chlorine as there was some small roots coming through and the stream ya's can see is just the cold water tap from the kitchen sink I had mrs loon run.:yes:

Aint that bad 343 if a guy gets his little brain thinking of a happier place.:rofl: :lol:

[​IMG]

basod, Eric VW, Brad38 and 4 others like this.
  5. Stinny

Stinny

You reeeeelly get into your work doncha... ;)

basod, Eric VW, Brad38 and 5 others like this.
  6. savemoney

savemoney

This is a settling tank for gray water. It is a large blue plastic barrel with a door on the side. The other side is full of holes for the gray water to settle out of. The tank is full of crushed stone. There is an over flow outlet.
    20150708_135016_resized.jpg

basod, Eric VW, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  7. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

Is this a new Club as I just had to dig mine up and have it pumped last wednesday.

I have lived at the place for 25 years and never had an issue but with these record rains in Indiana I had to dig mine up.

I had it pumped for $175.

It needed it but I did have 1 foot of space at the top.

Its was pretty thick all the rest of the way down. The guy had to spray the water hose down there constantly to thin it down so the suction tube could suck it up.

The issue was a plug between of the baffle plate and the side of the tank where the incoming pipe is.

After the pumper truck left I still had no flow and took a flexible steel rod and started trying to poke around behind that baffle plate and every one in a while a little water would let loose. So I took my hose and sprayed behinnd the plate and the water loosend the plug up and it fell to the bottom and then a gush of water like Niagara Falls Let loose. Boy was I happy at that point.

I am going to treat my leach field with this stuff:

[​IMG]

Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  8. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1

I always cringe when I hear people say "haven't had a problem, or haven't needed to pump my on lot septic system for 20 years". This is bad. Over time gunk, goo, hair, other solids, eventually find their way further down the system, to distribution box, leach field, you name it, and suddenly, that system that had no problem for 'x' amount of years is no longer a viable system, or needs serious remediation.

Now granted, some sites have no problem, maybe a decent slope on the drain lines, maybe great sandy soil, maybe over sized systems, but truth is, pumping on a regular basis is the best thing a person can do for their on lot septic system.

Self proclaimed septic guru.....but NOT an attorney

basod, Highbeam, Eric VW and 7 others like this.
  9. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I know someone made that mistake. Stuff clogged the leech field.

Eric VW, Huntindog1 and papadave like this.
  10. savemoney

savemoney

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know there was a product available that works like that. I'm all for prevention so I think I would use that proactively.

Eric VW, wildwest and Huntindog1 like this.
  11. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

I was doing the Bacterial Treatments that claimed to be newly invented strains of very aggressive bacteria that will really clean out your system. But I have to say I havent put a treatment in lately and we had a record year of rain in South Indiana this year , beat the all time record back in the 1800's So it was like a perfect storm all that rain and I have forgot to treat the system. I have also put in all the water saving fixtures Toilets, Faucets, Washer, Dishwasher all put less water thru the system. So to sum it up I did everything but pump the thing. LOL

12. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1

Huntindog1, others may disagree with me, but the bacteria treatment is virtually useless. Now, the root killer stuff, that's a good thing if a guy needs it.

Best thing to do is pump, every 3 years, or when tank is 1/3 full of sludge at bottom. A good pumper can run a stick into the tank and tell if it needs pumped or not.

basod, Eric VW, papadave and 2 others like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I have looked into this many times over the last 25 years. I cannot tell heads or tails from conversations or the internet. I have some dry bags from a long time ago that have not been used.....

14. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

pumping and inspection are great insurance.
    $200 every three years to make sure its in good working order/ not clogging the leach field.
    Or in my case, the sand mound/dose tank/pump

Eric VW, papadave, Loon and 3 others like this.
  15. Loon

Loon

Had the guys back out the other day and we went down the road to my buddy's place as I told him I'd clean out his tank. His house was built 8 years ago and first time the system was cleaned.
    Mom Dad and their 2 daughters have been living there and the tank was extremely full with both baffles somewhat plugged.:whistle:

He's on my 3 year plan now...:yes:

basod, papadave, ansehnlich1 and 2 others like this.
  16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Poop.... Tank....

17. Loon

Loon

His second cement lid is deteriorating badly? Thinking maybe an epoxy coating will slow it down? Will put up a couple pics later.:)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Eric VW and Stinny like this.
  18. Loon

Loon

ALOT worse then we thought.:whistle: Got to scraping it down for the epoxy and it just kept going. Gonna let the sun on it for a few hours then try and coat what we can.:yes:

[​IMG]

Eric VW likes this.
  19. papadave

papadave

I'm cautiously happy to report that our system seems to be working gooder.
    The whole yard is turning brown (it's been hot with little rain), ..........except where the field is.
    The one issue we had (when daughter and grandaughter took back to back showers) has not reoccurred.
    The lid would leak water/effluent every time a load of laundry or shower was done. Seems like the ground directly above the outflow pipe gets a little damp (I still have the lid uncovered), but the pipe had a very small gap around it, so I think a little leaks there.

20. Loon

Loon

Plan B as epoxy aint gonna help this mess.:whistle: Thinking large patio stone?