In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

metalbestos chimney/Supervent

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

A friend has offered me a section of metalbestos chimney. It is compatible with the Supervent I have now?

Eric VW likes this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Have you brought the two together for fitment, or do you mean in terms of the suitability/compatibility of the two different brands working together?
    If they interlock securely, and you could put the Metalbestos as the top most section, I would do it, but not midway thru the run.
    My $.02.

jeff_t likes this.
  3. Kimberly

Kimberly

My friend is in NJ; he told me he could get a section of the metalbestos for free. I am going to take some measurements and photos and send them to him to see what he thinks; just a way for me to save a bit of money if they are compatible.

Eric VW likes this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Ok. Let us know what comes of it?

5. papadave

papadave

I had Metalbest here when first moved in.
    I changed it to Supervent, and the ends looked the same, although the old was 8" and the new is 6".
    Same company I believe, and the Hart & Cooley stuff comes in pretty much identical boxes as the Supervent, as well. I haven't looked at the connections on that though.

Eric VW likes this.
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t

Though they are both Selkirk pieces, they are not compatible. This is what I have read. Never tried to fit them together.

That said, if I needed to extend my chimney and the pieces fit together but didn't lock, I might consider securing them with some short stainless steel screws and a locking band. Maybe. Outside, on the top section, above the roof. Not inside.

I'd consider it myself, but never recommend it (disclaimer)

Eric VW, concretegrazer and papadave like this.