In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pickles

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by CNE deer, Jul 7, 2015.

1. CNE deer

CNE deer

Does anyone have a recipe for sweet hot pickles, I used to buy Frog Ranch but I cant find them anymore I just figured I would try my hand at making my own.

HoneyFuzz and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. tuneighty

tuneighty

I unfortunately do not have any recipe's written down. I have a basic brine, 4 T salt to 1 Quart of water = 7.2% brine.

Options from there are endless and sadly I never measure.

I do fermented, or fridge pickles depending on several factors and the final product I wish to obtain. I have yet to make a crisper pickle than that of a fridge pickle with 1/2 vinegar and brine. They are also ready in just a few days (day 7 is my breaking point.)

I have a "pickle" base which consists of coriander, mustard seed, crushed bay leaves, and peppercorns. This goes into every jar of pickles I make. I then create each type from there. My favorite so far this year were fresh onions, and garlic from the garden. Some fresh dill, and pepper powder. (Add a bit of sugar and you have sweet and spicy.) I have also been playing with different vinegars: Balsamic, ACV and white. I really like a ACV/ White blend the most.

I do have a plethora of cucumbers too, and lately have been giving many away as I have several quarts of fridge pickles. If you want to play around maybe just try pints? They are really so easy, and in my opinion all pickles are good pickles.

(For fermented pickles you just fill with brine and let sit on the counter 3-5 days, then in the fridge to slow the fermentation. They have are a wonderful sour!)

macpolski and Well Seasoned like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

Just get a bread and butter mix and drop a jalapeño in there. Boom.

Daryl, MasterMech, mdavlee and 3 others like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Sounds great. We've been on and off with pickling/fermenting. We have a bumper crop of cabbage this year, so the wife went out and got us a nice 5 gal. stoneware crock. Sauerkraut will follow shortly! :drool:

6. CNE deer

CNE deer

That I would like to try to make that someday, Had some "fresh" sauerkraut on St. pattys day AWSOME

7. tuneighty

tuneighty

Does your have a water seal around the top? My cuz just got one like that, eliminates the need to skim the scum ...

8. lukem

lukem

These are good if you have a chit ton of zucchini to get rid of (grandma's old recipe).

Zucchini Pickles
    Mix 5pounds zucchini with 3 onions and 1/2 cup salt. Cover with ice cubes and let stand 3 hours. Drain and rinse with cold water. Heat to boiling 3 c. Cider vinegar, 3 c. White sugar, 2 teaspoons celery seed, 2 teaspoons mustard seed, 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add squash and onions and boil 2 minutes. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Makes 6 pints.

These are far and away the BEST dill pickles I've ever had (uncle's recipe). They are seriously amazing.

Clean and cut the cukes up however you like them (I cut them into spears like the have in a deli).

Fill a 1 gallon ziplock bag/bags with the cuke pieces and add a handful of pickling salt. Seal the bag and turn it to coat all the cukes with salt. Put the bag/bags in a bowl in the fridge for 24 hours or so and turn the bag/bags a couple of times while they are in the fridge.

Into the jars put a generous portion of dill seed and weed, a teaspoon of peppercorns, a teaspoon of coriander seed and 2 or 3 cloves of peeled garlic.

Drain the cukes (do not rinse) and pack them into the jars. Fill the jars with 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water. Seal the jars and let sit at room temperature for 3 or 4 days. Put the jars in the fridge for about 2 weeks before you eat them. They keep for a long time in the fridge, but usually don't last too long.

NH mountain man likes this.
  9. tuneighty

tuneighty

Interesting method, a fridge then ferment. I'll have to try it.

10. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

I'm hungry for pickles now lol !

MasterMech and CNE deer like this.
  11. rookie1

rookie1

This is my Dads way to make pickles. Heat brine to dissolve salt and add garlic and dill. Put in crock and let sit for 7 days. image.jpg

12. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Thanks, gonna try that next year!:thumbs:

13. Daryl

Daryl

That's how I added heat too. This fall I saw a jar with red pepper flakes but I don't know how the pickles would taste (didn't have cash with me to purchase).