In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Dolmar PS-6100

Discussion in 'Chain Saws' started by CTYank, Jun 5, 2015.

1. CTYank

CTYank

What would you want in a mid-size saw? Broad powerband, good endurance, low vibes, easy maintenance access, intelligent controls and good value top my list. That's where a 61 cc Dolmar got my attention.

Excellent power with very flat torque curve over a wide rpm range with peak at 10K. After a couple hours runtime, compression gauge read 215 psi cold. Strato-scavenging and 27 oz fuel tank give it great fuel endurance. Excellent spring A/V. Very good access all over to inspect/maintain things, as opposed to the other german mfg.

Single engine control intelligently oriented- DOWN for Off, unlike the other guys. No bizarre motion rqd. when you need it OFF NOW. Purge bulb to ensure consistent starting behavior, and avoid cussed unneccessary flooding. Takes a K095 "small-mount Husqy" bar, readily available for good price, and has no problems with a 24". That 24-incher even works great for noodling in hardwoods, and the clutch cover is designed to clear any chips without modification. Which it does extremely well.

Air pre-filtration is excellent. Then there's a cartridge filter suitable for a small car. Double-D carb tool for H.

Quibbles: A pound or so lighter would be great. You'd better down some Wheaties for single-digit-F starts.

Try one out and then look at the price tag compared to the competition. Really a no-brainer. Dealer-dependance is optional. Parts (and saws) are widely available all over. This saw is a non-drama-queen.

dave mclenan, Bert, CoreyB and 5 others like this.
  2. mdavlee

mdavlee

If I can talk myself into a new saw that will be it. I regret trading off a 357 and that looks like it would fit the bill for a small saw for the mini mill for edging.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  3. CTYank

CTYank

How're you reading my mind, there, Mike? (Even with such small print.) Just don't try telling it that it's a "small" saw.

4. CoreyB

CoreyB

I just picked one up and so far I am very impressed. Great torque, smooth , and starts so easy. Oh and it runs forever on a tank of fuel. You can cut a truck load or so on one tank. I do not know for sure because I have not ever run the tank dry. I just top it off after my second break. I used to use fuel stops for a break. I am too fat and out of shape to keep up with this saw.
    I hope to get a lot of time on her this fall. It is a fun saw to run and I really like the exhaust tone.

porsche965 likes this.
  5. WriteNoob

WriteNoob

I've owned my 6100 for about a year-and-a-half, now, and I couldn't agree more. This is an impressive saw. Does its job, very undemanding, and one of the most comfortable saws I've run. Truly excellent bucking saw, which is the main use I put it to. Felled a bit over 100 mid-sized (8-20 inches) trees with it, also, and it's no slouch there, either. In hectic limbing, it does get a bit heavy, but the well conceived ergonomics does aleiviate this, to a degree. Five stars, for me.

porsche965, Bert and CoreyB like this.
  6. CoreyB

CoreyB

It surprises me that this is not a much more popular saw. Especially as a serious firewood saw. It is hard to not brag about it every time someone mentions it. Lol
    5 star's for me as well.

Bert and WriteNoob like this.
  7. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I just got one and haven't put a tank full through it yet. I am working on it! I can't believe the huge amounts of oil and fuel this thing holds. J[​IMG]

8. dave mclenan

dave mclenan

i agree i bought the last dolmar 61 the dealer had b-4 makitas came in, im into firewood so my stihl 261 works for those needs well i think the air filter on this saw is the best ive seen, for the price there is no better 60 cc saw IMO, This saw has so much power we have some big larch in my area, the dolmar 61 i use for for bigger logs, a friend has a husky 562 xp i didnt think it was any faster, and was $200 + more, the dolmar felt better in my hands, i also tried the echo timber wolf 60cc saw which felt like lump, compared to the dolmar 61. i wonder if the new makitas are exactly the same as the old dolmar saws

9. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

As far as I know the Makitas are only different in color.