In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tote for splitting wedges,4lb sledge,extra gloves etc

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by thistle, May 25, 2015.

1. thistle

thistle

Needed a tote for storing/carrying my 3 European twisted steel splitting wedges & 4lb sledge.Used up more of that old 1 x & 2 x Douglas Fir from my scrap pile,even found a 3/4" dowel for the handle (cherry-stained Sycamore,was old chair rung originally) .;)

I wont spend money on new wood for something that's gonna be out in the elements taking abuse etc.Its not a piece of fine furniture here.:D

Tote with everything in it is about 25 pounds.There's even room for a water bottle,few granola bars/jerky & extra leather gloves. :yes:

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      139 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      122.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    papadave, JustWood, A Visitor and 7 others like this.
  2. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

thistle,
    I am with you. Make something from what you got. Before it hits the burn pile.
    Boy,that Doug fir is hard stuff when it has sat around for awhile.

thistle likes this.
  3. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Looks like a typical carpenters tool carrier from back in the day, made to take some abuse.
    It really doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it does the job for you. I like it

wildwest and thistle like this.
  4. thistle

thistle

It sure is.Not far from most Southern Yellow Pine I've worked with,especially the much denser old-growth Loblolly or Shortleaf Pines.Definitely had to drill pilot holes for the screws.

Thanks.For a while I had them in an old plastic 5 gallon drywall bucket (brittle with age/exposure to sun/cold temps,too big & bulky) then a cardboard box (fell apart in a couple weeks).

I have a couple old carpenter's totes bought at some forgotten rural farm/estate auctions over 25 years ago.Same traditional design,they are much larger (almost 4 feet long for the bigger one).Kinda roughlooking but very strong & durable.

Seen pics/drawings of this design,dates back several centuries.Roy Underhill (aka St.Roy, on The Woodwright's Shop) made one in one of his earlier books from the mid 80's I believe. Most had angled ends/sides,so it rested against your body in a more natural & comfortable position when being carried.If I make another one someday,it will have them instead of straight.

wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.
  5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

The concept of having a carrier for your tools is the same but the carrier has changed. I use a riggid canvas bag that I take to my jobs, it has all the small hand tools I would normally use and some untypical tools that would come into play on occasion. The wood tote would probably outlast the canvas bag but would not carry nearly as much. Times have changed but the ideas are the same.

papadave, wildwest and Stinny like this.
  6. Stinny

Stinny

"The concept of having a carrier for your tools is the same but the carrier has changed" ... I sure have... :whistle:;)

7. Stinny

Stinny

wildwest likes this.