In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

what is a cord of wood worth to you?

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Hog_Hunter_57, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Hog_Hunter_57

Hog_Hunter_57

In north east Texas you can have a cord of red oak delivered and stacked for some where between $130-150 to me I would never work for that cheap but its the going rate here.

Dallas on the other hand its $300 a cord not stacked.

Shawn Curry and fox9988 like this.
  2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

$250-300 a cord around here, maybe a bit more depending on the time of year, and that price is for dumped in your yard, not stacked, I wouldn't work for that either.

splitoak and Stinny like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

here its 225 a cord if you know someone, many on Craigs list 250 to 300. heck for 150 a cord it costs almost that in wear and tear on vehicles and equipment.

splitoak, Shawn Curry and LongShot like this.
  4. LongShot

LongShot

$150-$200, delivered and stacked, but it ain't oak! Usually ponderosa and pinion, and maybe some cedar.
    I paid $250 2years ago for a stacked cord of alligator juniper and that was worth every penny.:fire::)

Canadian border VT likes this.
  5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

OK clarification, price is for mixed hardwood, softwood up here is called camp wood and 25 dollars a truckload or less.

LongShot likes this.
  6. LongShot

LongShot

Not much hardwood here, unless you can find some scrub oak big enough to be worth cutting. I grew up close to where Hog_Hunter lives, and I do miss those big oaks!
    :saw::axe::coldfire:

Canadian border VT likes this.
  7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

What is a cord of wood worth to you?

Half tank of oil = 4 weeks(+/-) 0f heat. $300.00. That's going by how much oil we used before switching to wood 9 years ago and the current price of oil. When oil peaked in '08, it was closer to $450 for that half tank.

A cord of wood = 3-4 weeks(+/-) of heat. Around here you can get a cord of mixed hardwood in the $160-$200 area; not stacked. If I was buying wood that would mean at least $100 a month in savings for 5-6 months out of the year. But since I get paid to haul wood off of people's property, it's more like $300-$400 a month cheaper to heat with wood.

But it's more than just a matter of cost in $$. I take into account the peace of mind knowing that when the power goes out, we stay warm. The longest power outage we incurred was 4 days. It's hard to put a monetary value on that. We can also keep the house far warmer with wood. When we used oil the thermostat was set at 68F. Now the only time it gets that low is overnight or when we're gone all day. It's usually 75-80. That's a little warm for me but AuntJoe likes it there. I just wear shorts all winter. :)

Drvn4wood, gmule, Shawn Curry and 5 others like this.
  8. fox9988

fox9988

That's then going rate here, ridiculously cheap considering the time invested. But I don't buy wood and only sell enough to pay for my saws/splitter.

splitoak and Eric VW like this.
  9. tamarack

tamarack

Its pretty much all softwood here and it sells for 150 to 200 a cord dumped in your yard. I don't buy wood and going out on national forest to get it, runs 40 to 100 mile round trip. There are some hardwood trees in town sometimes I get a scrounge on some maple or cherry. The elms I don't like a botch to split.

splitoak, Eric VW and fox9988 like this.
  10. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good question !! What's it Worth ,,,, to me ???
    , Makes a guy think about it more than "what's it cost" ( in your area).

Worth allot going out, (if I ever sell any )
    Not worth near as much if I'd pay to have it brought in.
    To help explain that :

You gotta love at least some aspects of burning wood to make it work out well for you.
    Most here love the cutting , spitting, stacking, seasoning ... the whole process.

It's not 100% about saving $$, but that's a big part.
    Some it's the hard work , some it's the out door experience, running the saw, splitting, stacking.
    The more things you have about the wood burning process, the more successful you'll be doing it.

Some , wood is their only source for heat. (that's high motivation ) .....Some have no real need to burn wood, just like the feeling of wood heat.
    And many of us are somewhere in-between.

Some like having it CS & D (delivered) & some like doing the whole process & some do a little of both.

When the cost ($$, time & wear & tear on the body) gets above what I can do, (financially & physically )
    I might have some wood for emergencies & ambience & pay the gas company to heat my home .
    Now it's a great source for exercise & being retired, it fills the Oct time slot, It's a warmer heat &&&& I get "Cash back " (cost savings)

Now wood I'd sell, that I CSS'd, is top dollar stuff :)
    But:::::
    Wood I'd buy, would have to be real cheap
    because of the all around enjoyment I have doing it.
    I look forward to October & felling & processing 8 - 10 cords.

" NOW ": Like other hobbies, for me, it's just fun (yes, I admit, I have a problem) LOL :wacky:

11. bocefus78

bocefus78

Around here a cord cost 250 to 300 dumped. It will more than likely not be a full cord either. It will also be seasoned approximately 18 minutes plus the drive. Dripping wet basically.

So, a cord is worth 350 to 400 to me once it's wheelbarrowed into my back yard and stacked. Once it enters the back yard, the only way it leaves is in flames. Nobody wants to pay me what I think my wood is worth. Occasionally a neighbor will trade me a case of beer for a couple wheelbarrow loads for his fire pit.

12. CTYank

CTYank

You can't afford any from my stacks, unless yer a friend or friend of a friend. Then it's $240/cord of mixed white ash & red oak, with MC to suit- fireplace burners need higher MC than stove-burners, so as not to continuously feed the splits.
    Even my odds & ends are air-dried to my specs. Sorry, I don't fly by night.
    Working in the woods, and with wood, is the best gym membership going, on so many levels. Six-pound maul = optimum.

Some folks around me get outrageous prices for cordwood. Homey don't play that.

splitoak and Eric VW like this.
  13. billb3

billb3

with HHO at $3 / gal I figure a cord is worth $450.00
    with HHO @ $2 / gal I figure a cord is worth $300.00

most I've paid for a cord of oak in the last decade was $80
    least I've paid was saw gas and oil and a fraction of the purchase price of cutting and splitting tools
    with HHO @ a conceivable $4 / gal that wood is worth $650/cord

That's my incentive to keep at least 3 years of wood in the back yard, mostly ready to go right now.

Canadian border VT, Eric VW and Loon like this.
  14. Jon_E

Jon_E

With 30 acres to cut from I've never bought wood - until this week. I figured I was so far behind, I'd never catch up. A friend offered me several tandem truckloads of full-length logs, dumped in my driveway, for $200 a load. After careful calculations (SWAG) I figured I was getting it for about $60 a cord. It's all hardwood, although some is marginal (butternut and box elder) but the 3 cords of black locust I got last night balances it out. On average it wouldn't be worth more than that for me to buy it.

I have a couple of neighbors, both single/windowed ladies living alone, both burn wood. I am going to cut/split and offer them a couple cords each for 2016-2017 so maybe in the end it won't cost me anything.

15. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I wish I snapped a pic of a firewood seller's truckload here in town today- at least a 3 ton capacity older truck, 12-14' long bed, @ 5' tall sides, 7-8' wide- STUFFED with oak, hickory, little maple and locust, some poplar(nay) splits for $400. I ended up introducing myself to this old timer, and that led to a 25 minute chat about saws, firewood, his 30+ years logging industry work history. Turns out he's sold to people I know, and he offered to show me some felling techniques and some saw repair basics too!:yes:
    Always pays to ask, "hello sir, how much you asking for that BIG PILE of firewood?!"

splitoak and Canadian border VT like this.
  16. splitoak

splitoak

aint fer sale:D

17. ironpony

ironpony

I CSS on my property and give it all to the lady my wife works with. She heats an old farm house, she does come pick it up though. gave her a few cords last year.

18. lukem

lukem

A $50 bill will get you a redneck with the roughest looking pickup you've ever seen with a loosely tossed load of wood up to the bed rails to show up in your driveway and throw it in your driveway. Stacking is easily negotiated for a 30 pack of Busch Light ($17)...it will take them the better part of an hour to poorly stack it because they are not familiar with the concept of stacking firewood for long periods of time.

The wood they deliver could not be any wetter had they dredged from the bottom of the Wabash river on the way over. They will tell you it is seasoned and will burn great.

I sell a little to my neighbors up the road. I fill a 4x8 trailer with 24" sidewalls heaping full and stack it in their garage for $50. It has been css for 3 years and is usually 100% oak. They are getting a deal.

Last edited: May 28, 2015