In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Favorite gloves

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by dgeesaman, Apr 5, 2015.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Ordered 1 pair each last fall to try Atlas Therma-Fit 451, Atlas Fit 300
    So , far , like em, looks like they are going to last a good long time . not like the other grap I wore holes in , in no time
    I will be buying more
    BUT the Therma-Fit 451, not for cold weather not even like 20s , more like 35

2. bocefus78

bocefus78

I use rugged wear gloves I get from Menards. $7 a pair, leather palm and fingers, bright colored fabric uppers. They are just like the mechanix gloves at 1/3 of the price. I buy them 5 pairs at a time. 1 pair gets wet? No problem...throw them in the truck and get another pair out. They last a year at least when using the rotation method. At 7$, its no skin off my back if one tears, gets lost in the woods, etc.

3. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

1025478.jpg

I like these. They have held up very well. Better than the C.E. Schmidt Heavy Duty Work Gloves. I can get through about 10 cord cut split and delivered with each pair and sometimes they are on sale for $7.

C.E. Schmidt® Men's General Utility Medium-Duty Work Gloves

HammerheadC4 likes this.
  4. Evanrude

Evanrude

Just good leather gloves for me. I tried, but cannot stand to wear the Atlas type gloves. My dad preferred them though. I've been buying the Stihl homescaper gloves for years. They're a little pricey, but not too bad. Cheaper than my preferred all around work glove (CLC Tradesman). I've read recently on this site that Costco has some good leather gloves for $3/pr, IIRC. Next time I go, I'll grab them and give em a try.

5. mywaynow

mywaynow

I have spent 35 bucks on a pair of gloves, and 10 dollars for 10 pairs. The 10/10 gloves have held up better than most. Home Chepot. Just don't grind or weld with them, epic fail.

Attached Files:

6. splitoak

splitoak

Im a leather kind of guy..

7. mywaynow

mywaynow

I prefer leather as well, but not when they last one day and cost 15 bucks a pair.

papadave likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

My first pair of Atlas Fit 300s I have handled over 3 cord so far not a hint of wearing out , other gloves would have a hole by now .
    nate uses them and he said "They last me a couple months usually and I stack close to 10 cords a week"

lknchoppers likes this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

hoarders, can anyone give suggestions on gloves a larger size? ansel, measurements I need size 12 but would probably prefer 13. they seem to stop at 11.... regular gloves try to get buy with 2xl, but little brother always takes them when he comes up to help drives me nuts as he can fit in a medium. would love to buy a dozen of gloves that fit!

10. lknchoppers

lknchoppers

Those sound really good. I will have to try them.

HDRock likes this.
  11. HDRock

HDRock

I bought one pair to try from amazon $4.79 , the other day I ordered a dozen for $30, that's $2.50 a pair, those will last me a very long time
    nate has a firewood business In Alaska , if he does 80 cord with a pair , it tells me they are tough mofoes

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    papadave likes this.
  12. chucker

chucker

i like the atlas gloves after wasting scads of money on short lived leather gloves. i ordered a dozen of the blue ones and a dozen of the thermal which have longer cuffs. they hold up pretty good, several times better than leather, and a pair lasts over half a year. i use the thermal and non thermal interchangeably in all types of weather.

papadave and dgeesaman like this.
  13. HDRock

HDRock

They are, some very good gloves I am surprised, I have handled about 7 cord with the one pair and no sign of any wearing.
    Wish I would have found out about them sooner.
    Oh by the way if I haven't already said it somewhere welcome to da club chucker.
    Oh wait I remember ya now

14. papadave

papadave

This is all great info, since handling firewood really tears up gloves.
    Best pair I had was from HD, and I could get a year out of them, but the index and middle fingers were almost worn through.
    Don't remember what I paid, but it was under $10.
    I wouldn't mind paying more for a pair of gloves if they'd just last, but I hate paying a premium for stuff that's crap.

15. marine5068

marine5068

All of us welders know what that you never weld wearing synthetic material protective clothing.
    Only leather, cotton or fireproof textiles.

16. mijdirtyjeep

mijdirtyjeep

I use the goat skin gloves from HF. They are relatively cheap @$5.99 a pair. They last just as long as the leather version HF sells, plus naturally rich in skin-conditioning lanolin. Another plus is my FIL wears the same gloves as I do. I always wear out my right hand glove faster than my left, he always wears out his left glove faster than his right. So we just give each other the good used glove when we by new ones. Helps to cut down on some of the cost.

papadave likes this.
  17. tamarack

tamarack

The white knit fallers gloves for running the saw. And leather gloves for splitting and stacking. The white knit gloves last longer if you get a good layer of pitch on them

18. 818firewood

818firewood

Me too!
    I really like the atlas gloves!
    Much more durable than leather.

HDRock likes this.
  19. HDRock

HDRock

Yep, these atlas gloves are tough , still using the same pair I got last fall , they just keep going and going :thumbs:

papadave likes this.
  20. WES468

WES468