In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The best tree's to plant

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sam, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam

I'm looking to plant (balled and burlapped or have them moved in, probably no bare-root) 10-15 tree's to line the south side of our driveway. I live in growing zone 4b near Jordan, MN. I'd like something that's deciduous and fast growing. Deciduous because I can't have low hanging branches slowing the snow down and fast growing because I'd like to be able to enjoy them and have them add value sooner rather than later. The area is prone to being pretty damp in the spring but not a swamp. The driveway is shared and sees a good bit of traffic but it goes right down the property line so these would be firmly on our side between the driveway and the horse pasture. I've been leaning toward autumn blaze maples but I'd like to hear everyone's suggestions. Of course one of the main concerns is cost but I'm not sure how to gauge that exactly; what makes sense to me is comparing tree size vs. cost.

2. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

I believe silver maples might be a good choice, i plan on transplanting a ton of trees this spring because we live in the middle of a field and don't have a lot of trees around last year i planted 9Apple trees,i can't wait to have apples! I'm hoping for a bunch of pine trees and silver maples, pretty much anything to start growing soon

Shawn Curry and Sam like this.
  3. Sam

Sam

Thanks, I'll look into silver maples! Are you in Menomonie, WI or MI? I've been too and through the WI one many times.

Shawn Curry likes this.
  4. bocefus78

bocefus78

If you want fast growing, its hard to beat a tulip poplar IMO. It will take zone 4.

mithesaint and Sam like this.
  5. Sam

Sam

Are they at all similar to Hybrid Poplar? I've had marginal experiences with those in the past.

6. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

Menomonie wi. I'm not exactly a tree expert of any sorts but it seems that the silver's around here grow super fast and straight up. I get tons of it for firewood and you'd be hard pressed to find anything that splits easier!

Sam likes this.
  7. papadave

papadave

I'd suggest Maple too.

will711, Shawn Curry and Sam like this.
  8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Went and looked up silver maple and Autumn Blaze Maple. both look gorgeous in the fall colours. One description said that the Autumn Blaze would stand up to storms better as it is a stronger tree. Would this be a factor in your decision?

9. Horkn

Horkn

Do you want a taller fast growing tree that doesn't branch out much?

If so, there's that poplar that grows tall and fast. We had them up in Wausau wi on our property line. They made a nice fence quickly.

10. Sam

Sam

That's a factor to consider for sure since it's almost totally wide-open there now but down in a valley. I wonder if it would look funny to do every other?

I'm not certain but I *think* I want something that develops a decent crown after growing vertical for a ways. Do you remember what type of Poplar they were and how they stood up to wind and such?

Since we all like pictures this is what I'm looking for, except for just on one side unless I convince the neighbor...

driveway trees2.jpg driveway trees.jpg

milleo and Woodwidow like this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We planted poplars twice over 2 decades. They blew down after 5-10 years each time. Then again that was Colorado.

12. shaggy wood dump hoarder

shaggy wood dump hoarder

I don't see theproblem here. That just means more firewood!:thumbs:

milleo, basod, Shawn Curry and 2 others like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol::axe::tree:

Shawn Curry likes this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

15. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Weeping Willows are terrible anywhere there is a water or sewer line.

Shawn Curry, Horkn, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  16. Sam

Sam

Thanks for that link Horkn!

Yeah, no willows for me. They'd end up burrowing into the tile lines running down the pasture I'm sure.

Shawn Curry, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  17. bocefus78

bocefus78

If wind is an issue I retract my tulip poplar comment. They are soft and don't like high winds.

Sam, Shawn Curry and wildwest like this.
  18. bocefus78

bocefus78

Guessing you had Lombardy poplars...tall and skinny? Not similar in shape at all but equally as soft.

Sam and wildwest like this.
  19. Butcher

Butcher

Stick with the Autumn blaze maple. They are a far better choice than a Silver maple. Not as messy and have almost the same growth rate. Keep in mind that the size of tree you plant will relate to the price and also, the larger the tree you get will stunt them a whole bunch due to stress and transport and transplanting. A 1 inch caliper tree will probably grow faster after transplanting than a 3 inch caliper tree. Since you are some what close you can look at http://www.baileynurseries.com/ They are 1 of the whole salers we buy from so you wont be able to buy direct but some good info. There is also http://crossnurseries.com/. We buy a lot of nursery stock from them also.
    Fer GODS sake, don't plant any willows unless you want to spend the ageing years of your life tearing them out.

schlot, papadave, will711 and 3 others like this.
  20. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

How damp is damp?
    What about sycamore? We have a very small creek here. There were three willows but they all came down over the years. I would love to have a couple sycamores in their place

Sam and wildwest like this.