In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock's next Hybrid: Version 3 (Franklin Hybrid?)

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BrianK, Feb 2, 2015.

1. PCRit

PCRit

Hi Roger, I'm at the same point as you, but I haven't even built my house yet!!! That's the summer/fall project, and I delayed shipment on the IS until early fall. However, I'm also very interested in the new Franklin...so we'll see how things go!

Dave

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

I would like to add that any stove that can be burned at extra low levels meaning very low input air will get lots of coals, as thats how they make charcoal for your grill is to heat wood with lack of air. Now I would say cracking the door will provide the extra air to burn down those excess coals.

3. hamsey

hamsey

Agreed. Will still keep my eye on the progression. If the heritage does not work out I will be looking for another stove.

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum Roger. You definitely will see a big change in heating when you update the stove. We cut our wood needs in half with the Fireview.

fox9988 and My IS heats my home like this.
  5. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

R&D is experimentation. Woodstock is anticipating the standards becoming even more strict in the coming years and they are prepping for that now in their R&D work. I believe they are working on air flow path, direction, velocity while still experimenting with the various configurations of the cat and secondary burn apparatus. Just as automotive engineers continue to perfect the combustion chamber, fuel feed and ignition of the cylinders in cars. (these new direct injection cars are a great example).

R&D, theorize, experiment, test, adjust, test some more, learn, adjust, ...you get it. :)

Boy... I go away for a week to Wisconsin to get the Harley souped up, and listen to you guys! LOL!!! :D

My IS heats my home likes this.
  6. papadave

papadave

And when you come back there are no pics? :picard:
    :popcorn:
    I just read on the WS site this little tidbit........

Progress Hybrid 1.3 gram/hour
    Ideal Steel Hybrid 1.0 gram/hour
    New Hybrid (projected) < 0.50 gram/hour

7. sherwood

sherwood

I just read the last few pages of this thread. Then I reread post #59. I didn't find that post offensive, but I sure found some subsequent ones so. I had no idea what Lovinwood was talking about when he said he was concerned about the lower burn capabilities of the IS. He was frank that he had gotten the impression of the other site. Why not just ask him what he meant, since as far as we know there are no problems with the lower burn capabilities? And then just respond to whatever he says? I think things got way out of hand, and would really not like seeing this site get nasty, as the other sometimes does. As Lovinwood posted, this site is friendly, one of its great qualities. Would not have been too hard to treat him with respect.
    Some people are easily offended by language that many of us now accept, ignore, or simply realize a lot of people use, and don't let it impinge on our enjoyment of things. Others can't see past the language. But when we know we use language that we know can offend others, and it does, we should be able to accept, ignore, or simply realize people can be offended and not let their reaction impinge on our enjoyment of things. In other words, this post's reaction to the use of language was essentially the same as Lovinwood's.

Although my Dad had worked construction crews summers to work his way through college, and could use quite impressive language when he got really angry (which took quite a bit to cause and was impressive when it occurred, and only occurred a few times, and only with adults), God forbid any of us used "language" on a casual basis in daily life. There were consequences. So much so, that when I heard my 87 year old Aunt say "Bell pizzes me off" last month, I lost it laughing. Her response: "Well, it does!" Told my Mom, and to my amazement about two weeks later she used the same phrase about something. I would have been willing to swear on a Bible that neither would ever say that.

Live and let live. Assume your neighbor is well intentioned until he proves otherwise. And keep the fun times rolling.

I am one of the world's biggest Woodstock fans, and a great fan of this site and its members.

Gark, concretegrazer and PCRit like this.
  8. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

now that is funny!

papadave likes this.
  9. papadave

papadave

That's an awfully expensive stove blower.:eek:

10. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Just to make a point about long burn times, and this is my opinion only. I have been burning here in the Northeast since 79. 24X7 all late fall, winter and early spring long.

It gets cold here in the Northeast. Very cold. Other parts of the country it's different. Long burns might be much more important in other more temperate climates, but here in the Northeast it's heat output, and the ability to burn long enough to get a good nights sleep and not go out, or go to work and come home before it's out. Shoulder season its nice to turn it low, but woodburners here in the NE want whole house heat, fuel efficiency, and enough of a long burn to not have the stove go out before you get home from work.

I call Bovine Fecal Matter on BS being any kind of obscene or insulting. But I think what happened here was there is a lot of history where some commercial sites have users who seem to get away with posting very slanted opinions of products they don't like. This is a much better forum than that, but gee, please don't be too sensitive to a very common term like BS. That just making a mountain out of a molehill.

So if your new here get a feel for the place. It's a wood cutters/wood burners forum... someone might say a slang word sometimes.

11. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Well said and not easily understood by everyone...all it takes is one.

Oldhippie likes this.
  12. Daryl

Daryl

A slight drift but I do agree. It is amazing the differences in climates, attitudes, and needs about fire throughout the country. I've run across a couple builders that simply ignore what is going on in other parts of the country.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Well said oldhippie, ditto on the north east! Was negative four this morning and I still haven't seen above 30 since January 16th they say to morrow will be. Hope springs eternal...

14. Machria

Machria

Wow, All those #'s are impressive. I didn't even realize the PH was that low... awesome!

Oldhippie likes this.
  15. VelvetFoot

VelvetFoot

I read most of the posts in this thread, but can anybody tell what that door on the top is for that is being looked at?

16. wfournier

wfournier

I'm guessing to service the cat like on the IS.

VelvetFoot likes this.
  17. chance04

chance04

No updates?

18. wfournier

wfournier

I haven't seen anything posted by Woodstock about it but we did see the prototype in person on 3/17 when we took a trip up to visit. Based on my conversation with them about it I believe the damper system is going to be similar to the IS. When I asked about the bimetallic strips they were calibrating and if the intention was to haver more of a thermostatic damper like a Blaze King the answer was no. I didn't take any pictures because honestly it looked the same as the pictures that Woodstock posted. One thing I did notice in person is that the "Franklin" wings to me looked better than in the pictures IMO.

chance04 likes this.
  19. JA600L

JA600L

The bimettalic controls are simply two tertiary air controls. My understanding is that they provide automatic air to the catalyst during start up and then later in the burn. It is a manually adjusted draft control.

DexterDay likes this.