In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Englander 10 CPM pellet feed problem?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by mithesaint, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

What is your LBA setting while we are playing, if it is too high, well stoves have been known to go out because it got blown out on too low a fuel and too high an air setting plus or minus a jam that needs a bit of extra push to dislodge :popcorn:.

IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and DexterDay like this.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I'm thinking LBA as well, but for the opposite reason.

If the LBA is to low on this stove it will have a lack of vacuum. This stove has a lot of areas to lose the vacuum from the exhaust blower (ash pan seal isn't a latch, it's a gravity system, 2 ash slides are far from perfect seals as well, large air wash, burn pot cradle where agitator comes in, sidewall of stove where agitator drive comes in, door latch, etc) and prob a half dozen I am forgetting. Lots of burn pot bypasses.

I'm thinking vac switch as well. Not that it's bad, just there is to many other areas stealing vacuum. So LBA needs increased or areas need sealing.

IHATEPROPANE and ivanhoe like this.
  4. subsailor

subsailor

My 25-PDVC does this when it's low on fuel. The pellets hang up on the sides, the stove runs out of fuel, the pellets finally slide doen and feed but they smother a dying fire. So I end up with a burn pot of unburned pellets.

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and smoke show like this.
  5. mithesaint

mithesaint

I've had the stove set at 1-4-1 all winter long, and this is a recent problem, so I don't think the LBA is an issue. The hopper has been full of pellets each time it's happened, and I haven't noticed any excessively long pellets, and I've been burning these Sets all winter long, so I don't think the pellets are the issue either.

It started up fine last night, ran fine overnight, and then shut down for the day. I have pretty significant solar gain from the sun. It started up again tonight, and all is well so far. I'll give it a few more days before I order a new vacuum switch though. The vacuum hose is in good shape, so I think I can sorta rule that out for now, unless it developed a crack somewhere that I didn't see.

ivanhoe likes this.
  6. smoke show

smoke show

Mine did the same. When I had it...

ivanhoe likes this.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

It is the pellet stove gremlins.

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  8. woodmakesheat

woodmakesheat

9. mithesaint

mithesaint

No problems since I bypassed the vacuum switch...waiting a few more days before I order a new switch though. Was fooled before...

DexterDay and smoke show like this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Before you order a new switch?

I'd up the LBA. Based on a the burn pot bypasses.

A notch or 3 would do it.

11. mithesaint

mithesaint

I asked Mike H about those bypasses a while ago. Supposedly those are all figured into the calculations and shouldn't cause a problem. It blew my mind that a leaking door gasket can absolutely screw the burn, but the holes around the ash pan trap handles aren't a problem??:loco: :crazy: Either way, I have no doubt that closing those bypasses will help the burn a bit. Was thinking about plugging the top row or two of holes in the burn pot to see if it would burn a bit better that way. I have an old pot I can try that with. The CPM wants 11-12% corn, which isn't readily available, so I'll keep the CPM as a pellet burner.

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

High temp foil tape on the top row will let you test and see what you like. Without doing something permanent. Test and find what works for you and your fuel.

My father's CPM has several upper holes closed and I gasketed the top of the burn pot receptacle (or you could do the bottom of the pot). Imacman made a nice gasket from around the agitator shaft. Or was that Jrsdws? Hmmm.. CRS... :(

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  13. JRSDWS

JRSDWS

I just had flat gasket on top oft he burn pot receptacle and some of the upper holes closed up with furnace cement I think. I never had any luck keeping anything in place around the agitator.

DexterDay and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  14. imacman

imacman

I had the stirrer rod wrapped with hi temp gasket, and another flat gasket going over the top of it. I also gasketed the top of the cradle as Dex did. I also found a hole next to the door latch that I siliconed closed. Make sure your burnpot flanges are flat....mine had a slight twist and wouldn't lay flat on the cradle. A vice and mallet took care of that.

DexterDay and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  15. mithesaint

mithesaint

Still no problems. Starting to look like a guilty vacuum switch. Test burning some Ozark hardwoods right now. Apparently it's not very cold in the Ozarks.

imacman, slvrblkk and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  16. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

:rofl: :lol: Pellets not too good?...or should I say hot?

imacman, IHATEPROPANE and eatonpcat like this.