In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★☆☆ Big Heat Wood Pellets (Review)

Discussion in 'Pellet Fuels' started by slvrblkk, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Big Heat Wood Pellets results: FINAL RESULTS

Temp Average – 300-370 (new thermocouple on door, cannot compare with previous reviews)

Ash Volume – 13 ounces

Ash Weight – 1.40 ounces

Ash Percentage - .22%

Fines In Bag – less than 1/4 cup

Pellet Length Avg. – 1/4” – 1/2”

Bag Weight – 40.0 lbs. (0 oz. left in hopper)

Burn time – 15.75 hours (approx.)

NOTES:
    Donated by Will
    $4.99 a bag or $200 a ton at TSC
    Great pine smell
    Low ash

If I didn't know any better I would swear these are re-bagged Freedom Fuel. Except for Freedom's higher ash content, the pellets have the exact same characteristics. Contrary to what I've seen, read and/or heard, I believe these are probably a straight softwood. If these are a blend there is very little hardwood mixed in. The pellets are very small but don’t seem to be very dense. I had a hard time fitting the 40lb. bag in my hopper. Fines were what about I expected out of these. The ash is fine and medium to dark grey in color and I did develop an ash cake do to having to somewhat overfeed the stove to get it to throw good heat. Ash volume was low.

All in all these burned pretty well. I did, however, need to crank the feed rate up in order to get “Big Heat” out of these which wound up being a borderline overfeeding event. I personally would not buy a bunch of these but they’ll get you by if it’s all you could get.

Recommend!!!

Disclaimer: as with everything....YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY....the review is just my opinion of them

IMAG0523.jpg IMAG0524.jpg IMAG0525.jpg IMAG0518.jpg IMAG0516.jpg IMAG0529.jpg IMAG0530.jpg

2. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

My hastings loves the Big Heats!! Seriously, i've been saving the few bags i have left for the near zero nights. They put out more heat on level 3 than Sets and Greenways. The ash isn't all the bad either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.