In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

M-tronic tech??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Woodrat1276, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

I have no doubt it works great there are just to many people out there who have nothing but good to say about it.

My only concearn was in the event something went wrong. Kinda looking at repair costs however in my search I havent found any thing stating anyone has had major problems with the m-tronic system

Sorry if this post dosent make sense i just come home from work I work 24 hr shifts and didnt get much sleep and havent had any coffee yet my brain isnt working yet this morning

Drvn4wood, DexterDay and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. $ooline

$ooline

Well said and good point.

Drvn4wood and MasterMech like this.
  3. $ooline

$ooline

From what i understand the mtronic carb is pretty much same price as a regular carb...so price concerning this part anyway is comparable

4. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Its them quad ports that make them more expensive. Gotta pay the enginer that came up with that a premium.:eek:

$ooline likes this.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Something Husq has been doing long before Stihl.

I am a Stihlhead through and through. But go back 30 years and look at Stihl saws and Husq saws (or Jonsered, etc). Stihl was using horizontal cylinders still. They have always been behind the times. But the quality of products they produce are still great.

The 461 and 441 are night and day apart. The 441 weighs a little more and some say the A/V makes up for it. Maybe if you're on a landing running that saw for 6-8 hrs a day, 6 days a week. But holding a 460/461 in my hands idling or running WOT feels the same.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  6. SquareFile

SquareFile

To the best of my knowledge Stihl was using vertical cylinders before Husqvarna made chainsaws and horizontal cylinders are still used today by most manufactures. As far as I know the Contra was the first chainsaw that you could turn the power head, but I've read Pioneer beat Stihl to that claim.

PullinMyPoulan likes this.
  7. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

Talked to my dealer today. Asked them if they have had anyone that has had problems with m-tronic system and how much it was to replace the module. He stated $109 for the part. Which isnt that bad

$ooline, Chvymn99 and fox9988 like this.
  8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

I imagine when the first automatic transmission was released, folks were having the same reservations about this "hair-brained" invention.
    Now they are putting automatics in school buses, dump trucks and semi trucks. Technology is going to keep changing...even with power equipment :jaw:

Rains and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. Rains

Rains

M Tronic is a way of the future for stihl, they have entered it slowly out of respect for the old school guys that say if it's not broke why fix it. To some it has to be proven, for others its new technology and we pave the way.

$ooline likes this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

On how many models though? Husq has always been ahead of the curve.

When the 031 was still made, compare it to the Husq models at the time

11. SquareFile

SquareFile

A few off the top of my head and I'm sure I'll leave a few out.

Contra, Lightning, 070,090,08, s10, 07, 028,030, 031, 032, 034, 038, 042, 045, 048, 056, 064, 084

That don't include super, magnum, magnum2, and gear drive in some of those models.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  12. SquareFile

SquareFile

IMO if I was going to give a manufacture credit for first ofs and patents it would be McCulloch. I think they had more patents and development for chainsaws than all others combined.

concretegrazer and Moparmyway like this.
  13. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

You guys amaze me how much you know about saws. You have forgot more than I will ever know lol

Rains likes this.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yes. But I was speaking to the technology. Alot of those are horizontal cylinders and not equal to the factory hot rods of Jred, Sachs, and Husq of the time.

15. SquareFile

SquareFile

I was just listing stihl saws of 30+ years ago that did not have horizontal cylinders.

16. pantelis

pantelis

In simple words the mtronic- autotune is the screwdriver which can tune the saw about 30 times per second so simple

$ooline and DexterDay like this.