In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Basswood

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by Sam, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam

If I were to mill up some of the basswood that I (accidentally :picard:) brought home last weekend what form would be the most valuable with the least amount of work? I've heard that it's great for carving but I imagine that we're talking mostly small blocks there. I was thinking if I just cut it into some cants and offered it up that way it might add some value? Otherwise I'm tempted to just make rough cut 2x lumber out of it and use it around the place for misc. projects, indoors ones of course. I'm going to cut some of it into firewood sized pieces for the shoulder season as well but there's a couple of pretty decent mill logs in the bunch as well. Right now I'm just working with a beam machine but I could use an excuse to pickup an Alaskan mill, if you know what I mean ;)!

Shawn Curry and wildwest like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

my husbands friend won a national carving competition one year. It was a loon. Husband has done smaller ducks. The chunks need to big enough for the body (smaller for ducks, larger for loons) and they put the heads on separate. FWIW

Loon and Sam like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

and purchasing the basswood in Colorado was not cheap!

Sam likes this.
  4. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

The property I had for 20+ years before we sold to build our retirement home had much basswood. I did have my buddy come over with the Woodmizer and we cut the cants into 4" x 6" or 4" x 8". What I found out is that wood carvers do want basswood but they want it dried. So, I discounted it for not being kiln dried. Many of the buyers took their purchases to a kiln and had them dried but many just air dried them in their garages. Most told me that if you have the patience to let it air dry you can achieve the same results. That makes sense.
    I can't remember what we got per board foot. I think it was half the price of kiln dried. I sold some nice 4" x 8" x 14' pcs. I let them cut it to length. Strapped many on top of cars for some good ole boys. The only that I am disappointed is that none of them sent me photos of what they carved with my basswood as I asked them to do.

5. Sam

Sam

How did you find the market for it Marty? I think I'd try Craiglist nowadays but is there somewhere else more specific?

Shawn Curry and wildwest like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

what about classified on a decoy forum? Hunting forum?

Sam likes this.
  7. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Sam,
    Craigslist and at a nearby church they have a Woodcarvers club and I just stopped there one day and spread the wood and left some business cards. I did get alot off Craigslist too.

Shawn Curry, wildwest and Sam like this.
  8. Minnesota Marty

Minnesota Marty

Sam, I see your from Rochester. I am from just North of Hastings between Hastings and Afton. Basically, Denmark Township and the Little bend in the road was called Basswood Grove. I never deliberately took down the Basswoods but after a while they get so big mother nature takes then down for you.

wildwest and Sam like this.
  9. Sam

Sam

Small world Marty. I've been in and around that area many times. My wife and I considered moving to that area from our place southeast of Cannon Falls 4 years ago but chose the Jordan area instead.

wildwest likes this.
  10. Sam

Sam

Great ideas WW. I'll hunt some down, pun intended! btw I'm a big fan of duck decoys, my dad left me a decent hoard of them!

wildwest likes this.
  11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

Sam likes this.
  12. lukem

lukem

I have a crap load of basswood sawn to 1/2" for furniture backing and other projects where light weight is important.

Minnesota Marty and Sam like this.