In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who Wants Free B.L. Rounds?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by CTYank, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jrcurto

jrcurto

I was there today, sick heavy tangles of massive old Black Locust. White Ash all over the place. I dead lifted a durango full of big rounds and a bunch of cherry just for the smoker. Split and stacked a face cord of dense yellow BL...awesome

CTYank and Shawn Curry like this.
  2. CTYank

CTYank

And, as I 'splained, there'll be a whole spitload more, once we cut up more of what's down, and the snags still to come down.

Then there's a huge amount to be cleared out at nearby sites. Sugar maple, more BL & white ash. Everything in due course. The Land Trust is not prepared to be in the lumber-processing business. That's where I come in. :vulture: Gotta go rest up for a day of cutting tomorrow. :D

Having two associate vultures helps a lot. :cheers:

Shawn Curry likes this.
  3. jrcurto

jrcurto

I rolled out six 4 ft long x 20" round bl logs for you to buck. The bark just peeled off them and under is prime timber.

CTYank likes this.
  4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

CTYank you sir are first class.....
    Shawn Curry you sir are a true hero! My wife would KILL me if I loaded the car up like that!

Drvn4wood, Shawn Curry and Stinny like this.
  5. CTYank

CTYank

Jim, I dunno which BL sticks you refer to, but if they were in either my path or that of my boss as we swept through with saws today, they got bucked to human-liftable size. So there's a huge amount waiting for pickup, largely BL. My boss wants to retain the ~4'-long BL stick with the pronounced 3-lobe section-shape, for furniture- it's right near the "meadow". You could arrange a few workouts loading out the other rounds. We'll be back cutting on Fri. in that same area, but there'll be plenty of space for you to :vulture:. We can be easily induced to help you load. :)
    You could even help us cut if my boss gives the OK (chaps req.) If you want, ask [email protected]. I'm betting he'll be happy for the help. As things stand, he's delighted for your assistance in cleaning up the site. We can even show you where the adjacent BL jackpot is next for cutting.

You might even want to rent a p/u for a day at a time of serious hauling; then you could take the Merritt.

(It turns out, it was Steve with mower on tractor that churned up the field- cussed Japanese Wire-Grass.)

Scotty Overkill nice of you to say that, but not true, at least in the fact that I'm a LCDR USN (Ret) :cheers: who loves to get workouts in the woods. The site we're working suffered massive blowdown damage from Superstorm Sandy. Steve told me that the aftermath was a tangle of huge sticks over 8' deep. With the help of Jim and another gent, the earth is becoming visible. The site is being held in perpetuity by the Greenwich Land Trust, and like it's other properties, it's being managed primarily as wildlife habitat.

Maybe you'd be interested in the story of another property, where we prepped ~1.5 acres for planting 400 blight-resistant American chestnuts in mid-Nov. Those little yearlings get multi-level protections, just short of an armed guard. DAGS on [greenwich blight chestnut] for news & views.

Shawn Curry, Loon and Scotty Overkill like this.
  6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

what a generous offer!

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  7. CTYank

CTYank

Too bad you're so far west. Maybe we could arrange rail shipment? :banana: In all seriosity, Land Trust management is really happy for help cleaning it up. So, it's mutually beneficial. Doesn't get better than that, eh?

Scotty Overkill and wildwest like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:handshake:

9. jrcurto

jrcurto

Does Steve plan to mill that lobed section into board thickness? There were some other cool sections in there. If so we should do a few more, I would love a few planks. I probably will get a pickup from my friend once we finish this notorious 15 cord move of split wood to the other side of an estate! Also, is it ok for me to post pictures of your site, the Hoarders will go nuts

wildwest likes this.
  10. CTYank

CTYank

Dunno Steve's intentions. He was kinda taciturn at the time yesterday- tweaked something painful in his back.
    Pix are fine. I'd just ask that they don't provide navigational information. Others don't have to know about other nearby location that's actually part of the same "C"-shaped parcel. I haven't seen the BL snags there close-up yet; hopefully Steve's back mends (he's half my age) and we get in there tomorrow with winches and saws. Kubota's in there somewhere, too. Let's hope for hard frost & no snow for a bit, for loadout.
    On trying to get at Steve's milling-material, you'd best ask Steve. Good Luck with that.

11. jrcurto

jrcurto

Still splitting my Hickory & Silver Maple but bringing in some manageable loads of Black Locust & White Ash from the site. I envision 2 cords of BL in the shed along with lotsa White Ash along with my Shagbark & Silver Maple. I can get another few cords of BL stacked out in the open. This shed will be filled with wood for the 2015-17 seasons. Merry Christmas

PC190487.JPG PC190480.JPG Wreckage1.jpg PC190485.JPG PC190484.JPG PC200496.JPG PC200495.JPG

12. CTYank

CTYank

Not being picky about your pix, mind you, Jim, but you overlooked about half of the rounds, to the W of the area of your pix. Maybe a bit more jackazzing, but well worth it, no? Happy New Years.

13. gunny100

gunny100 Banned

14. Flatbedford

Flatbedford

15. CTYank

CTYank

Good to hear from you. It's been a few years. Even if this property gets picked clean (fat chance of that), there are many more leaners yet to be dropped and lots more to be bucked there, once the snow clears some. Then there's rich pickings on other properties, mainly ash & BL. Could be suitable for next year & beyond.