In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another CL firewood math doesn't add up thread.

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Freakingstang, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

So I see this ad for ash seasoned firewood for 70 bucks a full size truckload. I text the seller and ask how much to fill my trailer that holds 2 cords. he tells me 225 a cord. the "seasoned" wood was cut and split in july. so a full size 8' bed holds half a cord = 70 bucks x2 equals 140 a cord. two cord using 4 truck trips would be 280 bucks. so 280 for 4 trips or 450 for 2 cord in one trip... uhm, ok....

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/4784857059.html

2. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

People are dumb. This is why its a PITA for people to sell by the truckload

Did you explain the math to him :rofl: :lol:

3. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

yes I did. He told me to pound salt in less words.

I asked him how much to fill my trailer that holds two cord. he said 225 a cord. I then said a 8' pickup truck holds 1/2 a cord. 70x2 is 140 and 140x 2 is 280. 280 bucks for about 2 cord = or -. or 225x2 for one trip for 2 cord. I then said wood cut and split 6 months ago wasn't seasoned and he told me to take my arrogant azz and lose his number. I tried to explain as nice as possible he was trying to take advantage of customers. I also explained how wood cut and split in july was not seasoned. He wanted to argue. He had no idea what a moisture meter was, or what seasoned would MC should be. If I was close to him, I'd make 4 trips, but not paying almost double for green wood (in my epa stove). He then told me to buzz off, he didn't sell wood by the cord.

4. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

You should get four pickup truck loads, pay $280, transfer it to your trailer and then haul it back to him and tell him you want your $450 back... $170 wouldn't be half bad for half a day's work..;)

wildwest likes this.
  5. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Guy sounds like a huge a-hole :rolleyes:

6. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

if he wasn't over an hour away, I would. I have a member here that offered to sell me some wood at a great price, but it is almost 2 hours one way from where I live, or 1.5 hours from where I work. so i've been trying to find something closer. Guess I need to get a buddy to help me and head south....

7. Jon1270

Jon1270

Maybe he has his own full-sized truck you could use as a measuring cup? Fill, transfer, repeat.

To play Devil's advocate, most of his customers probably wouldn't know a seasoned cord of firewood if it bit them on the backside. He surely has a lot of people telling him he's doing a fine job.

bigbarf48 likes this.
  8. Freakingstang

Freakingstang

He proceeded to text me back and tell me he didn't need people like me with trailers trying to take advantage of him and his generously priced premium wood. His name and reputation speak for itself. he doesn't sell wood by the cord. He has people knocking his door down to buy his wood and doesn't need a smarty pants like me trying to screw him over.

WTF am i missing? his price, his stated quantity and i'm trying to screw him? LMFAO.

I will ask him if I can use his truck to uses as a measuring cup to fill my trailer, 4 times.

bigbarf48 likes this.
  9. Bluelou

Bluelou

If you don't like the deal,simply just walk away.

10. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

It's a tough winter to be buying wood... Talked to a tree guy who was working in my neighborhood a few days ago, cleaning up from the recent snowstorm... He claimed that he was getting $450 per cord for his seasoned wood... Great time to be a wood seller.. Suggest you look elsewhere too.

wildwest likes this.
  11. billb3

billb3

sometimes dumb blondes have dangly bits

WaddleRemodel, Chopy and bigbarf48 like this.
  12. Chopy

Chopy

We have a local Farm stand that sells, fruit, vegetables, mulch, top soil and firewood depending on the season. Now I get S275.00 a cord delivered mostly oak, maple and some beech. Stopped at the stand and saw they were getting you pick up $100.00 for a full size pick up and $300.00 a cord. I tried to explain to him that he was off on his pricing. I left there bewildered as I told his daughter who is about 17 to look it up on her smart phone. They haven't changed the price and people are buying the wood. He has about 50 cord split delivered in the fall. Am I the only one who is baffled?

stuckinthemuck likes this.