In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash storage and ash displosal, looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Lil'John, Oct 23, 2014.

1. golf66

golf66

Storing ashes is a lot different than transporting them. The big box stores sell a black metal bucket with a fitted lid.....it's OK for when you clean your stove out, but not for storing ashes. A big metal garbage can with a tight fitting lid is a good choice for long-term storage of ashes. Keep it away from your house and anything that could catch fire. Dump the ashes in it and allow a minimum of two weeks before emptyting the whole thing as to allow coals to burn out. Most fires associated with wood stoves come from improper disposal of ashes, not the operation of the stove itself.

wildwest likes this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ash holder.jpg These little beasts are very handy but a bit expensive. As for where else to put them, we dump into a barrel and then in the spring we spread the ashes very thinly on the vegetable garden. (Poor man's lime.)

wildwest and HDRock like this.
  3. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  4. nate

nate Banned

I fill holes around the property with it. Same with dog crap, leaves, etc.

5. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I leave the dog poop as long as I can laying in my yard.....................until the dogs are tip toeing around trying to avoid their own bombs.

I find that leaving the poop in the yard tends to keep the neighbors kids from "doing what kids do" in my yard when I'm not home!!!

wildwest likes this.
  6. nate

nate Banned

No one comes by here. Everyone pretty much knows messing around on someone's land will lead to them "disappearing".

I try to get the poo every week or two otherwise it takes forever. Dog has a few acres of woods but nope, has too poo all over the backyard instead.

7. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Where you're at, your pooch would be marking over wolf and coyote poop....................not something most of our pets could handle.................and they know it!!

wildwest likes this.
  8. dutch

dutch

I gave a lot of praise to our pup when he pooped off trail and off the lawn, he USUALLY heads into the woods now...

wildwest and Mitch Newton like this.
  9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

After sitting in the galvanized can I'll often stuff ashes down the woodchuck holes in my neighbors yard. You can get a lot of ashes into a hole. The rodents always come back but it gives me satisfaction doing it.

10. HDRock

HDRock

They got a hole in the woods ,not to far, when I'm out working ,when ever I need to ,I go pee in their hole :D

wildwest, dutch and Paul bunion like this.
  11. Lil'John

Lil'John

Thanks for all the good info.

For removal/storage, it looks like I need to get a "small" galvanized can with secureable lid.

For disposal, I'll have to scratch my head a bit. I'm not sure on the PH in my area.

As some have noted, my concern is over catching something on fire due to improper ash disposal. I don't want to be the neighbor that sets the plastic trash can on fire from smoldering coals in the ash :)

12. CTYank

CTYank

Some char joins the ash in the pan below my stove grate. I take that pan outside and separate the fines with a strainer into a metal bucket w/cover. The char goes into an MT 5 lb coffee can (with cover, of course) to go back daily into the stove.

Neighbors love having some ash spread regularly in their gardens. Helps "sweeten" the soil- raises the ph- makes it more alkaline. The potassium salts in the ash really help to set fruit on tomato plants, and to grow the fruit, even on our rock dust. Yum!

From the sample peppers I get, good things happen with them too. :drool:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    wildwest and dutch like this.
  13. Jutt

Jutt

32 gallon galvanized steel trash can. Dump it out in the back of the property every once in a while.

wildwest likes this.
  14. gunny100

gunny100 Banned

disposing of wood ashes
    if you have a garden you could dump them in your garden than rotel till it in the ground
    i was told wood ashes are good for gardens

wildwest likes this.
  15. dutch

dutch

Just want to avoid acid loving plants/ trees. We have blueberries and chestnuts that I know like acidic soils. Most fruit trees can use some wood ash too.

16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Are you in a neighborhood with other homes in close proximity? Like a 1/8 acre, or more like 1+ acres?

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to know.