In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Presto logs pellets

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by savemoney, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Thanks for that. After all the great reviews I have read about these, now including this one - I am really looking forward to seeing how they do, and comparing them to the other test subjects in my stash. :)

2. Hitch

Hitch

I think you will like them. I burned 2 tons of the Presto-Logs in my Harman last winter. They kept the house warm and my wife happy! :yes:

will711 likes this.
  3. will711

will711

That is the same measuring stick that I use :thumbs:

imacman, savemoney and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  4. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Question for you guys? This is a picture of the Presto Logs I picked up at HD. It may be hard to see due to the glare, but immediately above the big blue "WOOD PELLET FUEL" it says "Made from pure western conifer sawdust". I have been under the impression that conifer is a generic term for a wide variety of evergreen trees including spruce, pine, fir, etc. - the point is - not hardwood. But I was also under the impression that Lignetics and Presto Logs are the same wood fiber.

So just by change I came across this little tidbit on the lignetics website:

Lignetics wood pellets are made only from the finest premium quality western conifer sawdust at the West Coast Plant. At the East Coast plants, wood pellets are made only from the finest quality hardwood sawdust.

So.....I guess what I got is from a west coast plant? Dex, do your bags say the same thing on them?

And last but not least, when I search for lignetics I always pull up pictures of the white with green label bags (which I've seen around here) - these are the 100% hardwood pellets that are also in the TSC bagged lignetics. However, I also find pictures of white with only red label bags. What are those? Are the Presto Logs I bought the"private label" version of the white and red bag?

So many questions, so few answers.

upload_2014-10-31_18-18-48.png

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Mine are hardwoods.

Up until 2 years ago, the PTL's were always a blend of hardwood and conifer. Maybe they always split the fiber? But with transportation costs? It's much more cost efficient to use the fiber that you have close and readily available.

I wouldn't be mad that you got a soft wood PTL. I would guess they are probably a better bring pellet.

What does the white tag on the bottom left say? Does it say 100% conifer? Or a mix of?

ttdberg likes this.
  6. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

This is what the white tag says:
    upload_2014-10-31_20-16-19.png

IHATEPROPANE likes this.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Looks like your really luckin out this season, I do believe they are the same as the Lignetic's orange lettered softies from out west.! I've never seen the PTL's as a pure softy. I haven't seen them in eons but they were freekin dandy! I had excellent luck with the Lignetic's pure softy.

ttdberg likes this.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Yep!! That's gotta be the Orange label Liggy's! This is the first I have heard of it.

Maybe there PTL lune does better in sales than the Lig's "labels"? So they made the swap on the Orange labels?

Here is the bags from the 5 ton I bought 4 years ago. (Blend)

1414801236619.jpg

Here is the bags from the 6 ton I bought this year. (Hardwood)

1414801412015.jpg

ttdberg and jtakeman like this.
  9. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

First bag going in shortly, as soon as the hopper has been liberated of Pure fires. If these are really good, I'm going back for more! :MM:

jtakeman likes this.
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Not if I get there first. :vulture:

ttdberg likes this.
  11. midfielder

midfielder

If you bought a ton, there will be a paper inspection ticket inside the plastic bag and wrap with the bags of pellets. It will tell you a fair amount about where and when they were made, including which plant. If you find that, it'd be interesting to know what it said or see a pic of it.

ttdberg likes this.
  12. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Wish I had room for another ton! Based on the mill registration number 03208 printed on the white tag, it looks like they came from Sandpoint, Idaho? That is a long way for these things to travel across country!

13. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I guess there isn't as big a demand out west as what we have here in New England. We have the demand, They have a good supply of em out west. So they are letting them roll. Same reason why we are seeing Blazers again this season.

14. subsailor

subsailor

You don't have the room and your wife has skillets. Remember that

jtakeman likes this.
  15. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Well I can already tell you I'm going back for more. Holy smokes do these things crank out the heat! The flame is so tall it continuously touches the heat exchanger for crying out loud! I had a feeling as soon as I opened the bag. They are as dry as the desert and the color of the pellets has a reddish orange hue. They are similar to the platinum pellets from vanderhooft, which are some of my all time favorites.

jtakeman, IHATEPROPANE and DexterDay like this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice!! :dex:

17. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Good score!!!

18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

How do they compare to the blazers and other softies you've got in the kitty?

I haven't burn these since the pellet crunch of 2001. Same year I got Heartland at Agway, Blazers at HD and Eureka at Walmart.

19. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Went to HD today and lookey what I found!!! Cleaned the stove and threw a bag in...If they burn good I'm going back for a ton....the UPC points to Idaho plant

IMAG0042.jpg

ttdberg, IHATEPROPANE and jtakeman like this.
  20. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Really, You too! Another :vulture:flyin around!

WTH do I need to do to get decent chit in my hood?? Who are you guys bribing?? :mad: