In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

HQ Propane Tankless Water Heater or Electric Tankless Water Heater - $500 rebate which is cheapest?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Jul 10, 2014.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello

Since I have wood pellet heat now (Dualing Harman P61a-2 for 122K BTUs), the old 109K BTU Buderus baseboard hydronics are in shutdown mode all year round. However the cold start triple pass oil boiler with indirect SuperStor is still cranking out the hot water using aprox. 1 tank of the old dinosour oil per year at a cost of approx. $700.

Therefore, from what I hear switching to a High Quality Tankless DHW can save some big bucks!

We do have new Tri-Plex electric wires and a new transformer and 5 foot higher pole outside my window, But we have an overloaded older 100 amp Challanger circuit breaker panel.

We also have a 100 Gallon LP tank that I use once in a while for the Heat N Glow SL550D Zero Clearance FP with no pilot electronic ignition.

Lowes LP Tankless DHW
    Jacuzzi Gas Tankless Water Heater (Liquid Propane) $1049.18
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_373119-35419-J-SP199F_4294765369__?productId=3606332&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

LP gas water heater rebate of up to $500 for this year 2014
    http://jacuzzihotwater.com/j-sn199w.php

Lowes Electric Tankless DHW
    Lowes - AquaPower 240-Volt Electric Tankless Water Heater $799.00
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_595089-50857-DHE PRO 36_4294765369__?productId=50189151&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Yearly Costs
    The Oil costs approx $700
    LP Gas is approx $250
    Electric is $??

Anyone know if Electric is cheaper, we have National Grid in Salem NH that was part of Mass Electric?

Fanatical1 and wildwest like this.
  2. mithesaint

mithesaint

What about a Heat pump water heater? My Geospring has a energy sticker that says it "should" cost around $220 per year. It was just installed this month, so I don't have any idea how much it will run me yet. It should help a lot though, as the heat pump also helps to dehumidify the basement air, thus allowing my dehumidifier to shut off occasionally.

cgraham1 and 343amc like this.
  3. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I bought the Geospring also and really like it so far. AEP power had a $500.00 rebate which brought the price down to what a normal electric hot water tank would cost. It was really a no brainer for my use and it uses roughly half the electricity of a normal hot water tank when running in heat pump mode. I bought it at Lowes when they had a sale. Paid $899.0o plus tax less the $500.00 rebate make it something like $470.00 total.

The yellow energy consumption sticker said it uses 1875 KWH per year versus 4850 for a family of four.

Depending on what you pay per KWH for your electricity, say a normal electric hot water tank uses 4850 KWH for a family of 4 and you pay $.13/KWH = $630.00. With 100 amp service in your home, you might be challenged using any electric hot water options without upgrading your service. The Geospring uses 550 watts when running in heat pump mode and 4,000 watts if you set it for conventional heating.

This is a good video reviewing the older Geospring model. Sorry if I'm coming across as a Geospring spokesman, don't mean to be doing that. It does have some negatives such as noise, expels cold air, slow recovery time and it needs a condensate drain.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    cgraham1, raybonz, jeff_t and 2 others like this.
  4. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

5. krooser

krooser

old post... but I had a NG tankless heater installed about 5 years ago and I'm disappointed. No savings that I can see since we have to let the water run forever to get hot (140F) water… Paid $900.00 for the heater then got nicked several hundred more for the install… union plumber.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thank you for the thread, I am considering one as well and appreciate the input you are bringing.

7. jeff_t

jeff_t

We will be buying a tankless LP for our vacation place for few reasons.

First, we are looking for a little more space in the 6'x8' utility room it shares the furnace with. That room is going to be a second bathroom.

Second is the endless supply of hot water. Frequently, there are 10-12 of us there (hence the dire need for a second bathroom). We also rent it on a weekly basis when we aren't there, and sometimes get larger groups, since we have beds for 12 people.

Third, we don't heat it in the winter. Seems like such a waste to dump out 40 gallons of hot water after being there for a weekend, plus it takes about an hour.

When it comes time to replace my electric water heater at home, I'm going heat pump.

wildwest likes this.
  8. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I moved into a house that was already equipped with the tankless heater. I also do not see what the hype is all about. I use about 200 gallons of propane a year for it and my stove. And there is not a lot of stove top cooking going on in my house.
    Usually I am done washing my hands before the water heats up, pretty annoying. Only good thing is I can take endless showers, which happens maybe once a year.

Edit: I also want to add that at least I cannot use low flow shower heads, you need a certain flow rate to trigger the heater. Not that I care much, but if you are in to conservation than it is something to consider.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    raybonz likes this.
  9. golf66

golf66

I installed a Bosch AE125 tankless electric back in 2006. It worked great for two years, then crapped out. They sent me a new one under warranty, and it crapped out in less than a year. Bought a third one and it too crapped out in less than a year. Switch to an EcoSmart ECO27 and it has performed flawlessly. It modulates its heat output based on water flow as opposed to the Bosch, which was either "ON" or "OFF". The Ecosmart comes with a lifetime warranty.

raybonz and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

EcoSmart24 is on daily deal today at Home Depot. I wonder if the 24 is big enough?

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Don what did you get? Like it?

12. don2222

don2222

Hi Wildwest
    I am upgrading the 100 amp electric panel right now, looking at 200 amp panel but would like to go higher. Do you know of any 300 amp panels?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    wildwest likes this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Don, I was going to follow your lead.... I am sorry I do not know about fuse panels. Maybe there are some electricians here that might chime in?

14. smoke show

smoke show

Whatcha plan on doing that you'd need 300 amps?

wildwest and Pyroholic like this.
  15. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

You could go 400 amp but be prepared to shell out alot more moolah.. Unless you have a really large home you probably would be fine with 200 amp service..

https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...els/Eaton/HP404040SH/product.aspx?zpid=152160

wildwest likes this.
  16. don2222

don2222

My plan would be a good electric on demand water heater that can put out the heat!

17. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

A big unit will need big $$ copper plus big electric bills.. Propane might be a better option..

18. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Not sure how cold u get but a coupla guys at work tell me if we get into a stretch of -25* at nite that the water comes in so cold that it can not bring it to top temp.

cgraham1, wildwest and raybonz like this.
  19. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Yes these units can only heat so many degrees unless you cut the flow rate down.. Think a gas unit can recover faster than electric unit especially propane which has higher BTU's than natural gas but costs more.. There are good and bad points to either option..

wildwest likes this.