In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sawbuck build

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Shawn Curry, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Loon

Loon

Were these things just invented!??? Man do they make for quick easy work on the ironwood that i never bothered with as it was a pain in the azz cutting up.:wacky::D There is a million of these dead guys out there that will be meeting the 170 very soon.;)

Might try and make a fancy one like your's Shawn and leave it here at the house. :yes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HDRock

HDRock

They make that kind of stuff much easier to deal with, don't they?

3. Loon

Loon

Me and Mrs loon went back in and grabbed another load of the nice dead fillers Rock.:yes:

Shoulda done it years ago? ;)

190 degrees out but it had to be done! :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Drvn4wood, Shawn Curry and HDRock like this.
  4. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

You could make a folding one and just throw it in the trailer when you have a good pile of little stuff in the woods

Drvn4wood, Shawn Curry and Loon like this.
  5. HDRock

HDRock

:thumbs: zip, zip, wham, bam, load em up
    What 190 out :bug:
    I take it it was warm there today

Loon likes this.
  6. Loon

Loon

No pictures 48? But i cut it all up on the ground then put it together in the little trailer for that reason :) Its sitting in the trailer right now out in the woods as we moved it and will take the camera this week when i go back in.:yes:

7. Loon

Loon

Very quick and very easy on the back man. :drunk:

Right in the middle of the woods but the sun was right on us at the time.:headbang::D

HDRock likes this.
  8. Loon

Loon

Shawn did you put a chain or something in the middle to hold the load on the sawbuck?

9. HDRock

HDRock

I saw something like that on the internet somewhere, (don't remember where) it had a couple of chains permanently attached to it, to wrap around the load and hook

Loon likes this.
  10. Loon

Loon

Found this one on the net Rock and thinking of trying one out right in the middle? may not need a chain but some kind of rope or heavy duty bungee?

[​IMG]

Jack Straw, HDRock and DexterDay like this.
  11. HDRock

HDRock

I wish I could remember where I saw that because they had details and it looked real quick and easy to hook up.
    A Rope or Bungie might be better just in case you hit it with the saw, maybe one of them black rubber bungee deals, a long one

12. Shurdel

Shurdel

Any action shots with the sawbuck. I'm starting to build one. I scored a shipping pallet at work today, so I got a bunch of 2x4's from it. image.jpg image.jpg I'm thinking of using 4 braces so I can space them 16" apart.

13. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Sorry - didnt notice people replying on this thread until just now!

I've seen designs like that, but its not necessary on mine, due to the half- lap joinery I used.

Normally, the weight pushes the legs apart, which pushes against the top cross rail, causing most of the load to be bourne on the fasteners.

With the joinery I used, my cross rails are inserted into notches in the legs. So when the legs bear against them, the load is distributed downward through the legs, instead of outward against the fasteners.
    image.jpg

14. HDRock

HDRock

Come back and show us what you made up

15. Shurdel

Shurdel

image.jpg This is what I came up with.

Sam, reelcrzy, HDRock and 5 others like this.
  16. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I made one of these for my BIL, so I thought I'd post an update.

I made a couple design changes from the original. I moved the lower cross rail up the leg a bit. It was taking a bit of damage from rounds landing on it. Hopefully now the larger ones will roll off better. Plus now there's a higher "toe kick" to it, so you can work closer to the log. I also changed the taper at the top of the leg so it will form a 90 degree angle.

image.jpg

Made a major improvement to the shape of the notch. The round shape at the top allows me to leave more material in the leg where it bears against the top rail, but still be able to fold up. The notch accepts the rail better allowing it to fold up more.

image.jpg

Keeping the parts oriented this way helped me avoid mistakes. This is important for the cross rails, because they're all unique. Lining them up this way helps to visualize where the legs go.

image.jpg

Assembly is still the same as noted before, but care should be when driving the screws in front of the notch, to avoid blowing thru the other side.

Attached Files:

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

You should sell them they are so nice!

DexterDay and Shawn Curry like this.
  18. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I might be persuaded to whip up a batch of them after Christmas if enough members were interested... :sherlock:

It's easiest to do a bunch at once instead of one at a time. You can set up the machine once and run all the parts through the same process. They cost $60 to ship though! :bug: Don't ask me how I know... Yet... :zip: :whistle: :D

DexterDay, reelcrzy, cnice_37 and 2 others like this.
  19. WES468

WES468

Very nice work. Here is the one I made, I used PT lumber as the first one rotted and fell apart.
    It works quite well, probably a bit too heavy to move around much, but it is sturdy!

DSCF0037 (Medium).JPG

Sam, reelcrzy, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  20. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I put it together today so I thought I'd post some assembly pics, in case anyone happened to need them.. ;)

Its easier to stain the parts prior to assembly; did that yesterday. I lay the rails down with the notches up, and insert the legs one at a time. I moisten the rail, and apply the glue to the leg on all mating surfaces of the joint.

image.jpg

Then flip the assembly over, pre drill and drive 2 screws through each joint. I drove the top screw in the top rail at an angle, so there was no chance of it coming through the other side of the now-deeper notch.

image.jpg

I allowed the glue to cure for a few hours, then aligned the assemblies and bolted them together. The overhang is longer on one side; this is where the outer leg should go.

image.jpg

The new notch works beautifully. If you compare it to the old one a few posts back, you can really see the difference. The leg now gets full bearing against the top rail when its open, and it folds up much more than the original.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Few more glamour shots: :D

image.jpg image.jpg

Sam, HDRock, Loon and 1 other person like this.