In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Put up the new portable garage.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Yes its screwed to the boards and anchored to the ground with galvanized ground anchors. It aint movin. I went all out on it...

NYCountry and papadave like this.
  2. nate

nate Banned

Guy a few houses down said that too. First windstorm and it was GONE. Like never found it gone!

3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

We shall see. My neighbor has had one for years and it's still there..... And how is that relavent? You live in Alaska I doubt much stands up to the winds you get up there. I live in Michigan in a storm belt BUT here I have a 7' fence that blocks wind and keeps the heavy storm winds at bay in my yard... As for the portable garage it has already held up to a couple heavy rainstorms with decent wind. It didnt even budge in fact...

343amc, Stinny and papadave like this.
  4. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Dry, snow free, findable wood, mid Winter, is sweet !

Link & cost ?
    Be the first to use & review it ?

papadave likes this.
  5. NYCountry

NYCountry

That's the way to do it Pete good work..

savemoney likes this.
  6. NYCountry

NYCountry

It's 369 for a 20x10
    www.shelterlogic.com › Products › Firewood Storage
    I rather wait till I see a few reviews if there isn't any by April I'm gonna get one so I can store mowers and splitter in there

Pallet Pete likes this.
  7. savemoney

savemoney

Those shelters look like they have the potential to provide a lot of storage room and keep the greedy taxman away.
    I think they would be acceptable for pellets. I would want a crushed stone on sand base.

Pallet Pete likes this.
  8. NYCountry

NYCountry

If I do get one I would definitely put it on gravel base . It says it could Hold 7 cords but they way we stack could get more then that

Pallet Pete likes this.
  9. nate

nate Banned

Not sure where you are going with your post.

My point was the little "tent" tie downs the garages usually come with aren't enough unless you never seen over 15-20 mph winds.

My Dad had one years ago, we staked it down with 1.5" pipe with 2ft wide outriggers buried 4ft down on 4 corners and 2 in the middle. They held pretty well, but the wind was never all that bad, maybe 40-45 mph winds at the very most.

Yeah here in the winter it's bad. I have seen over 100mph gusts. Last winter a snowmobile trailer ended up upside down in my yard, it flew from 3 houses over.

Stinny and Pallet Pete like this.
  10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Just showing it off lol.. I understand you now I didn't know where you where going either! I used 3ft ground anchors into solid clay which we have a lot of under us. It won't budge with that. The clay is hard as concrete.... If anything it will collapse this winter but let's hope not lol. For the price it's worth a shot!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    HDRock and Stinny like this.
  11. nate

nate Banned

We would take a plastic shovel and put up between the pipes and the snow would slide off. Had to shovel around it though. Lots of snow in northern Maine, some years over 15ft.

Stinny and Pallet Pete like this.
  12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Well we have had some pretty high winds recently and it's holding firm! I really like it.... Where we have it placed the wind doesn't blow rain into the portable garage. Here's to hoping it makes it through winter lol...:D:cheers: It also will make a great outdoor brewing station next summer! :sherlock::dremel::banana::drunk:

wildwest, eatonpcat, cnice_37 and 4 others like this.
  13. Sam

Sam

So is the consensus that these hold up to heavy wet snow and even ice, if they're cleaned off periodically? I'd really like to get some stuff out of the shop for the winter but I don't want it sitting outside either!

wildwest and Pallet Pete like this.
  14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Hello Sam welcome to FHC!

It's good and I think it will hold up well. So far it's been good through some strong rain storms and wind. As I said my neighbor has one and it's been standing for years now winter, spring and fall our biggest storm seasons havnt affected it yet. If your using it as a workshop or storage are I strongly recommend a wooden floor inside and bolting it down to that. I know a few people who do that and it works great that way!

wildwest, Sam and Stinny like this.