In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Jetstreams - Out With The Old And In With The New.

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by campinspecter, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier

I just had my chimney guy sweep out my chimney the other day. I have not fired the wood boiler since the end of April! o_O It was down to 30 degrees on the back porch here the other night! I'm thinking @thewoodlands might of had a fire in his stove.

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We've had a few so far this month.

Well Seasoned, Gasifier and Stinny like this.
  3. Daryl

Daryl

The coolest thing about the old Jetstreams is that most of the "new" stoves and inventions are basically old Jetstreams. Lol. They are pretty wicked.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  4. campinspecter

campinspecter

Have you done a thread on your outdoor gasifier ? I'm not very good at doing a search !:confused:

Well Seasoned and Woodwidow like this.
  5. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Alan that's awesome! I have never seen the inside of a boiler like that till today it's way different than what we have in these parts... Around here the sell outdoor boilers that look like a small shed with a smoke stack. You literally shove logs into those.

6. Daryl

Daryl

No, just little tin can ones. I have a link to a youtube channel on my profile. It's not much. Only videos of a couple of the times I have played with fire to understand the science. I burned a lot last year. This year not so much because of the weather.

I built a little brick tandoor oven and cooked those ribs on the Smokehouse thread. This is actually 4 bricks high. It is still standing. I will probably reinforce (insulate) it and smoke some more food over the next month or two. It doesn't look like much but what I have learned is it is very easy to get bricks to stay at a temp of between 200 and 250 for hours.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. Daryl

Daryl

Anyway, back to my take on gasifiers. I am in a babbling mood so I will share my thoughts - Everything is being recycled. The new stoves, all types, are centering on refractory cores including some with venturis. This was all done like 40 years ago with gasifiers. The one constant is fire science. You can't change it.

8. campinspecter

campinspecter

The Jetstream boiler burns extremely clean the picture was taken at full output 120,000 btu's per hour with an outside temperature of - 5 C . No smoke oder just hot enough to be uncomfortable to breath .
    I think this is also Gasifier's favorite picture !
    IMGP3758.JPG

To meet Epa Phase 11 a stove has to be under 7.6 grams of soot per hour , the Jetstream produces 0.1 grams of soot per hour . To put things into perspective a cigarette gives off 1 gram .

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

Alan. Is that "perspective" of yours the same as Bill's? You know, when he didn't inhale. :whistle:

10. campinspecter

campinspecter

100_2357.JPG

Nopp !:)

11. savemoney

savemoney

That was an excellent explanation. I've never seen one but on here. As Pete said, those around here are outside buildings that you toss logs in. That going outside stuff in the dead of winter is not for me.
    Good that you have the stove set to last you in your senior years.

12. Gasifier

Gasifier

I'm glad you can take my poor attempt at humor all in stride my friend. Just messin around with ya! I am glad to see your picture in those shirts every time I log into the FHC! What is Woodwidow spoiling you with for baked goods these last few days?

13. Gasifier

Gasifier

Oh, and that picture of you up on the roof checking on how clean your burning is a favorite of mine! LOL

14. campinspecter

campinspecter

Only around 950 were made, largely between 1981 to 1983. Production was again started in the mid 90s but did not catch on as there was too much competition. Also the price for the unit in the early 80s was very expensive at $4,500 here on the west coast. I know of another 4 still in operation.

Well Seasoned and Woodwidow like this.
  15. Locust Post

Locust Post

Just looked this one over....interesting Camp Insp.

16. campinspecter

campinspecter

Had the WETT Inspection last week which Woodwidow oversaw and the installation passed as a new unit! :yes: Now we have to hold our breath and see what the comments are going to be from the insurance underwriter.:hair:

Well Seasoned, Gasifier and Woodwidow like this.
  17. campinspecter

campinspecter

One year has gone by and the new Jetstream is firing just the way its supposed to!

18. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nice! Great to hear! :thumbs:

19. savemoney

savemoney

I just re read this thread like it was all new. Still very informative. You two have done a fantastic job with your home heating.

Eric VW, Gasifier, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  20. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

This thread was very fascinating and educational. Very nice job with it, and good to hear everything is working well!