In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Swapping out the Progress Hybrid

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Flamestead, Dec 11, 2013.

1. papadave

papadave

I don't remember this being asked, but are the sides interchangeable? I'm referring to the decorative panels.
    I would only need/want one on the side facing the front door to impress visitors.:thumbs:
    I'm going to presume they can be added at a later date and changed at any time.
    I'm also curious how this stove burns during SS. Burn time would be more than adequate in the middle of winter (for me), but I need the ability to go low when just my shoulders are chilly.:D
    I'm still not a huge fan of the industrial look of the stove, but it's beginning to grow on me a little.o_O
    You beta guys go on sussing out the quirks and stuff......I may reap the rewards of that if the price is right.:)

BrianK likes this.
  2. fox9988

fox9988

Dave, you can "have it your way". That's the whole point with the IS. Order it with only one leg, put a concrete block under the other side. Impress the visitors AND save a hundred bucks at the same time:cool::rofl: :lol:

3. papadave

papadave

Ok, that was funny.
    I'll stick with 2 legs though.:thumbs:
    The decorative stone on the side would only be for impressing visitors (we don't get many).
    I'm thinking a flame motif. Appropriate...eh?:D
    Now, nobody "steel" my idea.
    If only they'd put the handle on the other side.
    Yes Lorin, I'm persistent.:rofl: :lol:
    ETA: Oh yeah, when you guys swap the handle, make sure to swap the hinges too.
    Just seems like the right thing to do.;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    fox9988 and BrianK like this.
  4. fox9988

fox9988

+1 on the handle. How does a real stove company make such a mistake? Of course some people want the handle on the wrong side of the door.......

papadave likes this.
  5. Flamestead

Flamestead

I thought the same about the hinges, and we asked if there was a choice. Now, however, I really don't notice. I am right handed, and always carry an armful of wood with my left arm. Opening the door to the right allows me to get my right shoulder/arm centered on the opening, with my armload of wood over where the door would be if it were hinged on the left side. I agree it seems wrong to be hinged on the right, but it works very well for me. But my wife says she stacks the wood on the hearth first, then opens the door, and doesn't want the door near her right arm as she loads. Anyway, I was conscious of hinge location right from the start, and have been surprised to find it a non-issue with my loading style.

fox9988 likes this.
  6. jdonna

jdonna

I'd be curious to hear about the front temp, stove top temp, right side temp, left side temp and back side temp with a full load during secondary "Hybrid" burn.

My one concern would be during a high draft day, you wouldn't be able to slow the stove down on a day like I am having with 50 MPH winds. The fireview is holding its own right now not running away. Dang it, wish I had one to test here today with the 28 feet of stack on a full load of red elm. Love to plug my Manometer in to it and just see =)

Looks like an opportunity to get out the welder and plasma cutter and fabricate something to raise that stove up. Not a big fan of low riders, being such a tall guy.

7. Flamestead

Flamestead

I had a borrowed IR thermometer for a few weeks, but now just have several magnetic ones that aren't quite right. I'll see what I can do...

We don't get the 50mph wind here, but were having gusts up to 25mph this weekend. Our house is in the open, liner cap is about 40' above the surrounding landscape. And we've been cool (single digits), so it has been drafting well. You have to have your wits about you when the damper is wide open at the start of a load (bad time to go for a nap), but as far as controlling the fire at lower damper settings there has been zero issue. I routinely load the box full, on top of 4-5" of hot coals. We are aiming for 600 degree stovetop in this weather, and when we've overshot we have been able to bring it back down.

The stove height is adjustable, but I'm not sure what the max height is (I'd guess it can go up another 6" or more, but just a guess). We asked for this one to be set for the same height as our PH; it is low, but the hearth is 3 bricks high, so that helps.

8. jdonna

jdonna

Wow, that is good news. Sounds like you are running a tall stack as well. Makes a lot of sense that they would make it accommodate different setup heights being that it is a top vent?

Sears has some higher temp IR guns for pretty cheap if it is in your budget.

9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR

How many hours of usable heat do you get out of a full firebox with a 600 degree stove top? I know you are heating a lot of space. You are running it decently hot and probably reloading sooner. This is a decent worse case scenario for burn times on this stove, so this has peaked my interest.

papadave likes this.
  10. Flamestead

Flamestead

Rear vent for my setup, going into a kitchen fireplace and then up 32' of liner. The house sits up above the surrounding land, so I think the liner cap is about 40' up there. Anyway, a lot of draft.

Thanks for the Sears tip - I had a lot of fun using one, so I might buy one.

11. ZeeB

ZeeB

12. ZeeB

ZeeB

Not sure what they set your stove at Flamestead, but mine is up at max height so that it could connect to the existing joint on my flue. I have 10" from the hearth to the ash lip at this height.

13. fox9988

fox9988

How high to the stove top?

14. ZeeB

ZeeB

35" to the stove top

Harder to get these measurements with the load burning right now but:
    About 15" to the bottom of the opening with the door open
    About 27" to the top of the opening with the door open

fox9988 likes this.