In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

new here - just saying hi

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by newbinct, Sep 30, 2014.

1. will711

will711

They should be Happy as a pig in chit , if it weren't for you :thumbs: they'd be freezing their azz'z off

newbinct likes this.
  2. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Welcome to the forum!!!

newbinct likes this.
  3. 343amc

343amc

Welcome to the forums. Good to see another pellet head around here. :cheers:

newbinct and will711 like this.
  4. Stinny

Stinny

Yikes... :shiver:

newbinct likes this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor

Yeah, in time you'll be OCD like the rest of us. We're all a little whacked out.

Nice choice of stove.:thumbs:

newbinct likes this.
  6. schoondog

schoondog

Welcome Newbinct ! Funny, smart folks here that will always help out. If ya get a list of 3 or 4 pellets that are available in your area I'll bet we can help you make a decision on what to stock up on. Somersets are in short supply now.

Schoondog

newbinct likes this.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

If ya can't find the sets. Keep an eye out for these brands which do well for me. Or like Schoondog said, Post the brands available as we've most likely burned them and can help steer or tell ya to run from certain brands.

AWF. Lowes and Tractor supply carry them

112268-d9efe914cfdbb56d4458b51a5441ac54.jpg

Pres To Logs Home Depot

3 Pres to Logs a.jpg

Fireside Ultra's Home Depot sometimes has them

2 firesides a.jpg

Stove Chow Home Depot sometimes has them

Stove Chow bag 1.JPG

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  8. imacman

imacman

The Timber Heats at Lowes aren't bad either.

will711 and jtakeman like this.
  9. newbinct

newbinct

Very good point! My husband rolls his eyes but I know he appreciates it - he offered to help and ask a few questions and hunt for pellets but I know he wouldn't ask the questions to my satisfaction and I'd end up calling myself anyway. I'll let him figure out the deep cleaning of the stove....I'll find pellets and bore him to death with my stories. He'll appreciate it mid-January when we are warm :)

will711 and Stinny like this.
  10. newbinct

newbinct

Thanks for the hints and tips everyone. I remember going through this last year, before I scored the 'sets. I remember the problem with my local lowes/HD was that they did not have any of the better pellets available. No SC or FSU last year at this lowes. The HD across the border by my inlaws had some FSU and they did pretty well. Would you guys use them full year or just as a shoulder pellet?

This year, all my Lowes and HD have are GS. I know they are getting more in. Last year Lowes had some GT, but I wasn't willing to go for them, especially b/c at the time we had only the Kozi and it was (and still is) really picky about it's pellets. Barefoots, hammers and 'sets did well in the Kozi. As expected, the harman eats just about everything - but I'm still gonna be picky :)

So far, we have Energex and Barefoot at the local Agway - $309 for the barefoot. We picked up a few bags of the energex just to have something and see how they do in the stove. Probably going to test 'em this weekend.

The other Agway says they will be getting Hamers in - but not yet. Selling for $289 I think. They and two other brands that were, according the the 17 year old sales girl "a great hardwood pellet that has very low ash". I started asking her a few questions and she just repeated herself, so I gave up and googled the brands and they had horrible reviews. I wish I would remember what they were now.

Think I'm going to have to haul myself up to the two TSC that are somewhat nearby and check them out. Maybe I can get some in the meantime.

I was thinking, of going with one of the local pellets available for the majority of the winter and then maybe a ton or two of higher quality pellets for the deep freeze months. Just in case I need some extra heat. I was going to go with barefoot - because they are the only ones available locally. I've been reading about oakies - would love to try them out but don't know where to find them locally. I'm on the NY/CT border, if anyone has suggestions.

Ok....enough rambling for the morning. I am going to dig up some pictures for you guys...I am sure we have a warm p61 fire photo somewhere...I love that beast!

11. newbinct

newbinct

Ok...a few pics.
    First, the wood stove that came with the house. Old Meredith stove - I think it was wood/coal from mid-80s. We didn't use it b/c the pipe outside was rusted and old. To replace the pipe it would have been half the price of a new harman and I was tired of stacking/chopping wood and overwhelmed with the new home, so we went with pellet. thinking of getting wood stove when old Kozi pellet finally dies.
    Also attached:
    old rusted stove pipe from wood stove
    view of old kozi (not sure why they had that board back there - we cleaned it up. not the best install but we are sticking with it until the stove dies and then we will redo that whole area)
    p61 on day it was installed - inside and out. We have since painted outside pipes black.

We've had to do little but clean the harman. This year we have to figure out how to move the air around a bit more. The room the stove is in is not the best location but considering the layout of the house, it's the best location. The master bedroom is directly above the stove room - so the floors are warmed. The crazies who owned this home before us never installed heat upstairs except an electric register int he wall - which is no longer working. Rather than go through another winter with no heat upstairs, we are probably going to put a vent in the ceiling and vent it upstairs with a powered fan. If possible, it would be great it we could have the vent go from the ceiling, into the wall and vent out into the room from the area of the electric heater (we would remove the heater, of course). Hard to explain but it seems completely feasible in my head. Just have to find the parts :)

Attached Files:

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I can use FSU or SC all season. Really it depends on your need's if you are able too. They should be close, But I'd have something as backup JIC they don't. Were you cold at anytime last season with the 61a and burning sets? The GS might leave ya cold and I'd definitely only use as shoulders. Same goes with the North American's. Not sure your Kozi would like either brand anyway.

Have a look at this thread on whats available at TSC in their red bags. They have a few different brands(mills) bagging for them. Hamers and Lignetic's are a few that are on the list.
    http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/for...on-whats-in-those-tsc-red-bags-upc-info.5940/

Thats not too bad a price. Not as good as the current box store deals, But better than the $300+ I have seen.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    newbinct likes this.
  13. newbinct

newbinct

Ok... So I have a dilemma. I'm going for 6 tons this year. We ran out w/4 last year and we weren't even burning during mid-Jan when it was super cold. So I know we need at least 5 and, if it's a cold winter, we'll run both stoves. The house does pretty good with just the p61, but we do turn them bother occasionally. It's hard to tell bc last year we didn't have insulation on either, we got that in Feb for the uninsulated attic and usome external walls (about half the house).

Anyway, here is my dilemma. Let's say I could get some somersets... Should I do all 6 tons of sets? Or wait and splurge for a ton of Oakies or barefoot?
    Help! Husband wants to splurge but I'm convinced I know better than him :)
    Thanks in advance!

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

If you can get all sets, No need to splurge.

15. savemoney

savemoney

Here is the deal. The sets are a real good pellet. If I has access to them, that is all I would burn. Yes, the "Oakies" will give a few more BTU's but the percent of heat gain and the percent of cost increase is vey disproportionate. While I cannot say the insulation improvements will get you where you want to be, I can tell you with certainty, that is the way to do it. Insulation: pay once, get payed back every year following. Fuel: pay evey yesr, cost will vary. If I were you I would put in at least six tons. Remember, whatever you don't use this year will keep for another time.

16. newbinct

newbinct

Thanks!! I knew I liked this forum more than I liked my husband :D:D

will711, eatonpcat, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

What ya save on the splurgin, You can use on a nice dinner out or more pink pellets(AKA insulation). ;)

newbinct and savemoney like this.
  18. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

X2

What's the pricing on those pellets?

19. schoondog

schoondog

x3

newbinct likes this.
  20. schoondog

schoondog

x2