In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wool Pants

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by BCB, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BCB

BCB

My vintage wool lumberjack/hunting pants came in the mail today. 2nd pair I ordered in a week (1st pair didnt fit my gut but that's another issue lol so I put them back up on Ebay). I can wait for the cold weather but I can't wait for opening day.

Anyone else hunt?

Attached Files:

milleo and PullinMyPoulan like this.
  2. nate

nate Banned

Hunting is about done here.

3. bocefus78

bocefus78

Welcome to FHC! There are a lot of hunters on here. I hunt deer and turkey. Bow, rifle (firearm as some call it since we cant use high power) , and muzzleloader seasons. Our bow season starts on Oct. 1st and I am far from prepared, but VERY ready to just sit in a tree and space out.
    I've done no scouting this year, but I have planted a few new food plots so hopefully that helps draw 'em in.

As far as wool goes, I sweat too much for that stuff. I'd be soaked and frozen before the sun came up.
    I use poly underlayers, fleece layer next, then some super duper bad azz MT050 gore tex bibs and coat from cabelas. That's the cold gear.
    I've bowhunted in boxers and my mesh 3d leafy suit when its warm! :rofl: :lol:

4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I've never hunted from a stand or blind, and I only once wore wool pants. You couldn't pay me to wear them again.
    Doubt it? You try hiking at 10K after Elk in wool pants, see what that get's you. It's not pretty.:confused:
    And -Yes!- lot's of hunters/ shooters here. Helps to make this site the very best.
    BCB, glad you're here. Your input is most welcome.
    (the wool pant thing for me, not so much.- that's a bad memory for me)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. bassJAM

bassJAM

Wow, so many wool haters! I gave it a shot a couple years ago, and won't ever go back to poly cold weather clothes! Even when I sweat, they keep me much warmer and more comfortable than synthetic clothes. I have merino wool base layers, and heavier wool pants. I haven't sprung for a wool hunting jacket yet, but when I find a deal I'm going to jump on it! Heck, I found a good deal on merino wool socks a couple years ago, and wear them all year. They keep me warm in the winter, and much cooler than cotton in the summer. And they don't wear out as quickly as cotton. Plus, my feet don't get so stinky anymore!!!

I also have a down filled pullover jacket and winter coat. You don't want to sweat in those, but if I can stay dry they are both super warm! And ridiculously light. The jacket can pack down small enough to fit in a cargo pocket. Man made materials still can't touch nature IMO!

PullinMyPoulan likes this.
  6. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

Welcome to the site:handshake: I sure do like my wool watch caps which get worn most of the fall and winter.Nothing beats 100% wool socks gloves hat for my hunting

bassJAM likes this.
  7. Trundle

Trundle

Another vote for wool here. One of my favorites has been the Browning full curl wool hunting pants. Sort of tough to find for some reason so when I do find them in my size (L), I buy a couple pairs (if I can afford it, they run about 120 bucks a pair). Heck, I've got a pair on right now. Warm, comfy and breathes well...what's not to love?

8. StickBender

StickBender

I wear wool hunting, nothing keeps you warmer and drier.

9. jetjr

jetjr

+1 on the wool. Have some old German trousers and shirts I use for hunting.

10. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

Stormy Kromer should end the search. The hats are bar none, jackets aren't bad either.

BCB likes this.
  11. BCB

BCB

I came across their caps yesterday and plan on getting 2 of them. 1 in blazed orange for hunting season and another in plaid for the rest of the time im outside this winter not hunting.

12. bassJAM

bassJAM

I'll have to check them out. I shave my head, so normal beanie's just slip off the top of my head unless I let a few days of stubble grow in, so I'm always on the lookout for good winter caps.

13. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

I am also a bald brethren. Beanies or the Kromer are always on my head in the winter.

jetjr likes this.
  14. nate

nate Banned

I wear long johns, thinish sweat pants, then jeans then arctic bibs. Shirts... long johns, 2 t shirts, sweat shirt, coat.

For my feet usually 2 pairs of white socks, then a pair of thick wool ones and bunny boots.

How I say warm working outside all day at -15*

wildwest likes this.
  15. BCB

BCB

I wear a pair of surplus mickey boots while deer hunting. Waterproof and extremely warm and I picked them up for like $40.

16. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

If your white socks are cotton you are defeating the purpose of the wool socks, you would be better served by a thin pair of dress socks(synthetic or wool) and then the heavy wool socks.

bassJAM likes this.
  17. nate

nate Banned

Sometimes I use electric socks or a pair of "foil" socks. Supposed to hold in heat and they seem to work.

wildwest likes this.
  18. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

I have found that hotronic boot heaters are the best. I work as SkiPatrol, can mean hours in the snow in ski boots.

19. Jutt

Jutt

Yep, going 2nd rifle Elk (cow) in 2 weeks. Cool pants BTW, should be nice and quiet! I picked up one of those all wool British commando sweaters last year and much to my wife's chagrin, I love it! It breathes so well compared to modern outdoor gear of which I have a lot of.

20. Jutt

Jutt

Do you use the heat moldable kind? I like the idea but I really like my current custom insoles seems like those would be a good compromise.

Another invaluable ski boot tool. Get to my room, plug these in, pop them in the boots, next morning: warm and dry boots:

upload_2014-10-2_11-37-12.png