In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I wish life would throw some vodka our way!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    I wish life was throw some vodka our way so I could mix it with the lemons that keep coming and have vodka sour to make me happy and forget about things for a while. My wife just had her 3rd surgery on her hoof and today was the 1 week checkup. They hope she will be walking by sometime between Tgiving / Christmas. This last go around they fused several bones and lengthened her achilles tendon. The first surgery was back in March, second in April and last hopefully Sept 6th. The pain she has been in and being immobile has driven her about nuts. I think the worst for her is the pressure she is putting on herself about not working and the financial hit we are working around. How have any of you tried to make a spouse or yourself not get down while on a long term injury/illness?

2. Horkn

Horkn

Hang in there buddy.

We've all been through rough patches.

wildwest, XXL, yooperdave and 6 others like this.
  3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Prayers go out to you and your wife Greenstick ...

4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Greenstick we really feel for you and will send prayers for you and you wife.

What you are asking is extremely difficult. Around here, we've both been in that position but perhaps it has been tougher on my wife than I. The worst was just a little over 33 years ago (on September 8) when I suffered a bad back injury and it really put me down hard. Yes, we faced a loss of income and my wife worked only at home so you can imagine the tough road we travelled there. But it got even worse but I won't go into details. I'm still not entirely certain how we got though it but will freely admit there as a lot of help from the Lord on this and many other times. We still to this day pay the price of that injury but we keep on living. Perhaps not as easy as some and financially it practically ruined us. But, we still have plenty.

Good luck.

5. Greenstick

Greenstick

I think it is just so tough for Mama Bear because she is such an independent individual. She has been so incredibly stir crazy not being able to do much without help for 6 months already and at least a few more. She has however said that seeings how she takes care of both handicapped and elderly people on her job as a direct support provider that getting to know how being dependent on others will in the long run make it easier to empathize with her clients when she hopefully goes back to work.

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

She is right!

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Greenstick after having numerous surgeries (including an Achilles tendon both actually) my heart goes out to you and your wife.. I am probably the worst patient in the world! I hate needing help and having to ask for it even more! your both in the prayers.. as I type this waiting on a surgeon to give another in a seemingly endless supply of opinions..

this too shall pass... reach out if ya need to.. will pray for ya also...

it might be me but I am less sympathetic to the whiners, oh my knee is killing me I have a partial tear of an acl.. cry me a river build a bridge and get over it.. I haven't had acl in either knee in 20 years..

I will say that ligament and muscle injuries are worse IMO than broken bones... bones heal usually less than 2 months.. ligaments and muscles are minimum of 6 months to year

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Hang in there...both of you!

Sign her up on the forum?

9. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Just being there for her when she needs you and emotional support. When my wife had breast cancer I think she was stronger than what I was.

Gary

10. Greenstick

Greenstick

Last night was not a good night, I think the weather front that went through really raised heck with her. Today has been better. I try to be there and not let on to my worries to her so as not to pile more on for her. I had a little talk with the almighty last night and it seemed to help me some.:) 20170907_134817.jpg

11. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Prayer and faith

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Put your trust in Him, Greenstick.

brenndatomu, Erik B, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  12. Locust Post

Locust Post

13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I'm sorry, sitting and looking around and seeing all the things I want to do/should do but cannot turns into a vicious cycle for me. And no doubt sitting there the devil is playing in her mind about finances. I wish I could help. For what it's worth, I did alot of crosswords, sudoku, kakuro, and killer sudoku (math crosswords) temporarily busied my mind to shut out thoughts. Does she like the computer? Maybe find a website on one of her hobbies so she can plan and window shop til she's mobile and really do them? Anyway, if those goes on a for more than a couple weeks, have her mention it to the doctor please. Also, maybe she or both of you could craft a budget and strategy to cope with the loss of income, that would ease my mind a bit.

Greenstick and Chvymn99 like this.
  14. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

good luck dude.

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

16. Greenstick

Greenstick

Going in for recheck tomorrow morning. Thank goodness today was nice enough she could wheel out on the deck, the couple days before were rainy and drove her stir crazy.

17. Greenstick

Greenstick

Stitches are out, still very sore and zero weight bearing for at least one more month. Dr said she is doing well just don't push it and let yourself heal. She is already dreading the cooped up trapped our forecast is looking like with a chance of rain every day for the next week. I think the only thing keeping her sanity is being able to wheel out on the deck and be outside getting sun.

Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.
  18. Greenstick

Greenstick

Here is a not very good picture of her bionic hoof. 20170912_105420.jpg The large screw is ran up through her heel bone, her leg goes to the left and her toes are pointed up. The wire and 2 smaller screws are in the bones just in front of her ankle over the arch of the foot.

Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.