In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Off-roading Mods

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by blackknight21, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Anybody into off-roading here? I would like to make my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, off-road worthy. I have started with buying a set of fender flares and mud tires. I also plan to add body armors to it. Is Poison Spyder a highly recommended brand? Any other suggestions?

Beetle-Kill and Eric VW like this.
  2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

LinkedXJ is our resident Jeep wheeler...

Beetle-Kill likes this.
  3. fox9988

fox9988

Welcome to the Hoard.
    I've been into Jeeps for 25 years now. Started off with a stock CJ. Grew into a aluminum body, full tube chassis 4 seater with a Vortec, Turbo 400, NP 203/300 double transfer case, locked Rockwell 2 1/2 ton front axles in both ends, full hydraulic steering, etc. Now happily back down to a lil TJ with 32" tires and one locker, enjoying all the local trails in the national forest. Its a lot cheaper/easier.
    Poison Spyder used to be known as high end good stuff, probably still is.
    I don't have any experience with body armor, I just built rock sliders and then cut all the other dents out until I could fit larger tires. That's hard on things.

Reddingnative and Beetle-Kill like this.
  4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

www.hansonoffroad.com
    Wayne makes some cool stuff.
    Welcome aboard !! Glad to have you here.
    Poison Spyder has a good reputation.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  5. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I REALLY like the stuff from Rubicon Express when I had my YJ.

RCBS and Beetle-Kill like this.
  6. Thanks for the input guys!

7. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

image.jpg I'll play! I like the yota, ford, zuki stuff. A few pics of previous rigs- 78 bronco 36" iroks, suzuki sidekick rolled, 86 beater toyota. All those rigs are now sold off.
    Currently have a 93 ford f150 with a 300 inline six that is the wood hauler, all around work truck. Home welded bumper and leveling kit on front, aftermarket muffler. I have a volvo 16t turbo, 19 lb injectors etc waiting to be installed on that. Pretty fun tutbo project. Great truck that runs down the freeway, has ac, cc, and seats 6. Wish it was a f250 with the 300, but hey.

Attached Files:

8. johninwi

johninwi

my 90 cherokee proved tougher than we expected, at 245k it really wasnt road worthy but survived trails for some time afterward

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      731.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      830.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

That reminds me of Christmas vacation with the wagon flying off the snow bank. Good work on the pics! How many times you have to do that to get those? Anything broken? Years ago i saw a guy with a compression fracture of the spine after jumping his truck at a local tough truck event. Had to say, that scared me quite a bit. Spinal injuries are no joke!

10. stumplifter

stumplifter

Sweet memories...
    Used to have a 93 YJ Wrangler (yea yea square headlights) with the in-line 6. Added Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension lift and 33 x 9.5 BFG's to her. Loved that jeep.

Wisconsins abundant use of salt caught up to Helen and her frame cracked, luckily it was as my wife was backing into the driveway.

11. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

8568920A-CE77-4B6E-919E-7C0B52642F73.jpeg maybe it was this thread. Missed my old 93 Wrangler. Just picked up this...93 Wrangler.