In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

8 Cu. Ft Steel WheelBarrow

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by LinkedXJ, Jan 24, 2016.

1. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

We must of bought 2 different things because i didnt buy a cheap one.

both tubs have been "Truper" brand. The one i have now is a steel 6cu.ft tub.
    Its too small. By a long shot. 2cu.ft doesnt sound like much, but it is.. its quite a bit for a wheelbarrow.

I cant hardly tie my own shoes right now, im in no hurry but i will find what i am after.

Elvisss222 likes this.
  2. tractorman44

tractorman44

My brother used two front wheels off of a riding lawnmower and a bunch of 1"(or 1 1/4") tubing to build a two-wheeled barrow. Two lengths about 5' long serve as the handles and the bed frame. He just carriage bolted some 1" pine crossways and and up the front angled part to rest the splits on. A couple braced stubs of 1" tubing serves as the feet in the rear. And a couple stubs welded up at the rear of the bed for a backstop. A pair of old pillow block bearings off a furnace blower holds the axle in place.

It has no sides on it but it works fine for splits being transferred from the trailer to the stack in the basement across the concrete floor. You're only limited by the energy you want to expend grabbing the handles. It's been doing its duty for over 20 years now. Built it out of the scrap pile too...

Dancan and brenndatomu like this.
  3. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

I still havent pulled the trigger on a 8 cu footer thats steel.
    I just searched for one again today, going to call fastenal, as they advertise one.

I just slung about 30 zip ties in my 8 cu ft poly tub a few minutes ago.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

5. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Being plastic in the cold weather combined with the "loading process" of the wheelbarrow, has disaster written all over it.

Get the steel one!

7. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Those dual wheel models, IMHO, suck on uneven ground and terrain.....

Locust Post, Oldman47 and Eric VW like this.
  8. Oldman47

Oldman47

Scotty, I got so tired of bumping along with the 2 wheels that I converted mine over to run on a single wheel. While I was at it I also went to a solid wheel. There are no air leaks when there is no air. I was fed up having to pump up a tire every time I wanted to haul something by hand.

Eric VW likes this.
  9. Locust Post

Locust Post

I couldn't agree more. Give me a nice steel tub and 1 front wheel. I have wheeled endless cords or rounds out of the woods. Wore through on one tub around the bolts, bought another but I just couldn't part with my old friend so I welded plates in and redrilled. Now I have 2.

10. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've used this yard wagon for about 25 yrs. I do have to put air in it, a couple of times a year, but It rolls nice through the yard, and over snow cleared trails. I've found it to be very stable.

I do place the splits into it, as opposed to tossing them in. I also keep it out of the weather in a shed.

IMG_20161211_090525818.jpg

HDRock likes this.
  11. LinkedXJ

LinkedXJ

So... Some time ago i found an "8 cu. ft. steel dual wheeled chassis Wheelbarrow" on Fastenal's website.. No picture though
    And it was just shy of $300...

Well... 2 weeks ago i called the local store, which is maybe 10 minutes down the road.
    Told them i was interested in it if it was infact made of steel. No picture, keep that in mind.

Lady says she'll call me back because she cant find it on the website, im like yeah i dont think its your product.
    Looks like it might be someone else's that you stock or play the middle man with.
    No phone call back..

Friday, friday as in last friday, the 25th.. I get a phone call saying my wheelbarrow that i ordered came in..
    Im like whaaaaat. Ok. I forgot about it until today.
    So i went to the store, told the guy who i was, what i was there for.
    Explained to him that i didnt want to order the thing yet before seeing a picture of it.
    Explaining to him also that i cant find an 8 cu. footer that is made with a steel tub..
    So we go about 20' to the rear of the store and bam, there it is. On a pallet.. TrueTemper brand or whatever.

So either this company is lieing, or menards is lieing because this 8 cu. footer is the same size as the 6 cu. footer
    that ive bought twice now from menards.

I bought it anyways, i got the whole thing for $140.
    Tub, wood handles, SINGLE wheel, wasnt even a dual wheeler like advertised.
    Who knows, might not even be the one that i was after from the get go.
    Guy said the girl who i talked to was a newbie. Im like yeah, explains why it got ordered before i saw it.

So.. ive got another wheelbarrow.
    I use the hell out of them, i like to stack logs and rounds in them and line them up next to my splitter.
    I do ALL of my splitting horizontally. Any large round gets noodled. Ive actually never split vertically, ever.
    Put the wood in the wheelbarrow and it keeps me from bending over.

This is the webpage by the way for Fastenal.

8 cu.ft. Steel Dual Wheeled Chassis Wheelbarrow | Fastenal