In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Fiskars LT6 13" Log Tongs

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Armbru84, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Armbru84

Armbru84

Been wanting to do a review for awhile...Earlier this year at Backwoods Savage GTG I saw quite a few guys using log tongs...talked to walt and he mentioned that they really are a back saver and you can move logs in an more ergonomic manner. He mentioned there were a few different brands but he preferred the Husqvarna ones. Right away I went online and bought them.

Your probably wondering why I am reviewing the Fiskars ones...well after using the Husqvarna ones for a few months they grew some legs and walked off. Naturally. With that said, I went back to the drawing board and looked to buy another set.

Price: The Fiskars tongs are priced very well, coming in around $35 each on amazon and they come with a holster that can secure on your belt or for storage. For comparison, the Husqvarna ones were around $50 each with no additional holster.

IMG_1780.JPG

Quality: I have only moved 3-4 cords with the tongs but they seems to be constructed well. I have a tendency to lift things over their rated capacity and I have seen no damage or bending to the body of the tongs. One thing to note that when these do arrive, they are "loose" enough that the body of the tong opens and closes very easily. I bring this up as the Husqvarna tongs were very tight which meant I have to slide them on the diameter of the log to ensure they opened up and it took a little effort...though once open they stayed open. On the flip side, the Fiskars ones will open and close automatically as they are looser. I preferred the Fiskars ones as a result. There is a small trigger that you can use on the Fiskars with your finger that opens the tongs allowing them to clamp.

IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG

Feel: The Fiskars handle body has a nice feel to it as its a non slip design. there is enough size of the handle to support lifting heavy loads without putting extra stress on your fingers.

Overall I feel these are very nice tongs and that people will be happy with them. The trigger that you use to release the log can take a little bit to get used to. I do think that they are worth the investment and I do like how you can lift two logs at a time and carry them over to where you are looking to stack them. I have some pics below where you can see the max size of the log that I was able to lift...I feel confident in saying that you wouldn't want to lift anything larger though as the weight of the log is high.

Thanks for reading!!

IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG

Stlshrk, Fulltang, Joe Seaton and 4 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

They look and sound good. What is the idea of the lock? Or is that the trigger you wrote about?

With the Husky tongs to release I just push down on the handle and it releases immediately.

Price certainly sounds good.

They also look to be a bit taller which again would help on not bending the back.

Stlshrk, Chvymn99, walt and 1 other person like this.
  3. Armbru84

Armbru84

On the third picture you can see the trigger. That allows you to use a finger to oil up and it releases.

My Husky ones probably just weren't worn in enough yet. You can also see on the top of the handle a place you can use to mount on a nail or something in your shed/garage.

Stlshrk likes this.
  4. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

Is that a built-in bottle opener on the leading edge of the handle???

5. Armbru84

Armbru84

I will have to test it out to verify but i don't think it will work as a bottle opener.