In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

FHC diet thread

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by basod, Oct 5, 2015.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

How do you make the dough for the pizza?

2. Norky

Norky

In a kitchenaid mixer.

basod, papadave and wildwest like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

recipe?

4. will711

will711

Just looking at that beautiful pizza made me get another Beer :whistle::drool: :drunk::drunk:

5. papadave

papadave

Unintentional smarty pants response?:rofl: :lol:
    Some of the "fancier" restaurants give you a small loaf of bread and a bowl of olive oil for dipping. Drink it out of the bottle, .....I don't think it'll matter.

6. Norky

Norky

It changes according to how many pizzas I want to make.
    For the two 12" pizzas tonight.
    1-1/3 cup of water
    2 tsp sugar
    2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp salt
    3-1/2 cups bread flour
    2 tbsp oil

Sauce is a matter of personal preference, but one thing's for sure, crushed tomatoes is the best base.

Guess what's for lunch tomorrow...PIZZA...it's part of a well balanced diet.

Mr A, basod, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  7. gbreda

gbreda

Just found this thread and was scractin my head (yes Will the one on top of my shoulders-this time :whistle:). Glad to see what it really is and as I mentioned in another thread yesterday-ITS THE DRIER'S FAULT :D

basod, Chvymn99 and wildwest like this.
  8. Mr A

Mr A

Better to have a diet, than be on one. I'm often asked if I'm on a diet. I eat a salad with spinach, tomatoes, some protein, usually barbecue chicken, avocado, raw pumpkin seed, vinaigrette dressing. Takes minutes to throw a bowl, plenty energy to bust my backside doing construction. Legumes, vegetables yogurt, oatmeal keep my strength up, but the beer keeps me fat, haha, and happy.

basod, Chvymn99, Norky and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mr A

Mr A

Home made pizza is really good. I forget what the exact ratio is at the moment, 60/40? flour to liquid, makes a good dough. I'll have to try the crushed tomatoes, I've been using just canned tomato paste and sauce, basil, oregano, olive oil, and whatever- maybe some crushed chili pepper, parmesan, etc. It's a pizza, it's all good! Then, there is sourdough!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    wildwest, papadave, basod and 2 others like this.
  10. basod

basod

My FHC diet will consist of GF's nachos tonight.
    Another 4 food group delicacy - corn chips, topped with seasoned ground beef, lettuce, green onion, velveeta/rotel mix, sour cream and bunch of chili powder & cayenne on mine.

11. lukem

lukem

I ate about 5 lbs of brisket for dinner. Imma do the same for lunch tomorrow.

wildwest and papadave like this.
  12. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    turkey with all the fixings and pumpkin pie/whipping cream. Diet starts tomorrow? or maybe not as there is lots of turkey left over.

basod, wildwest and campinspecter like this.
  13. Mr A

Mr A

3 parts liquid, 5 parts flour by weight. 2% yeast, salt. Add whatever after that. Garlic and rosemary is tasty.

wildwest likes this.
  14. Daryl

Daryl

So I was dating a cook and gained a bunch of weight because all we did was eat and I was miserable. I have lost 40 pounds since January with no exercise. I will probably be down another 10 next month. savemoney is right, to lose weight and keep it off there must be a lifestyle change. The change isn't easy and it takes time but if you stick with it, the easier eating healthy gets. I am a borderline Pescatarian. I can't go full blown vegan. There have to be some cheats or else I will go nuts. You don't have to eat funky foods to loose weight. I cut out the junk, fried foods, rice, and pop. I cut way back on the meat consumption and will only eat chicken or beef when I am out. I can't remember the last time I bought chicken or beef for the refrigerator. Eggs are ok. Watch my portion sizes and try to keep meals before 6pm. No late night snacking. I substitute beans for meat in most recipes. I'm now a bottled water case buyer and usually have at least 2 bottles with me for my long commutes.

There is a diet called Vegan Before 6pm. It's kinda like what I am doing but basically the whole idea of Vegan Before 6 is a lifestyle change. Eat more veggies, cut out the sugary drinks and the weight will come off.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    basod and savemoney like this.
  15. Daryl

Daryl

Oh, and I see posts about pizzas...I go thin crust with smaller reasonable portions.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Pescatarian A new word for me so I had to google it. Our lifestyle change included lots of walking and seeing as we live in a community that has hills, I really get a workout in my morning walks. No matter which route I take, I have to go up hill at some point. We also moved our big meal of the day to lunch but not everyone can do that one. Lighter meals in the evening helps with the sleeping.

Daryl and basod like this.
  17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

So I picked up both quinoa and couscous a while back. Was making tamale pie the other night and realized we are out of polenta. So I used one of the new boxes instead, it worked GREAT! Delicious! I was thrilled that I could use quinoa instead of polenta in several or our mainstay recipes.

Ooops, it was the couscous:picard: Well, atleast I know what that is now, just need to try quinoa at some point.

Any ideas what common recipe I could use quinoa in?

And yes, in the meanwhile I will look for course ground cornmeal on amazon :)

papadave, gbreda and Well Seasoned like this.
  18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Replace rice with quinoa. It tastes good.

campinspecter, papadave and wildwest like this.
  19. papadave

papadave

I've had quinoa (pronounced keen-wah, if you didn't know......I pronounced quinn-oh-ah :rofl: :lol:), and it's pretty good stuff. Wife bought some premade frozen veg with it mixed in. She likes it.

wildwest and campinspecter like this.